Ch 22 Soldatino

Okay, so my bro wants me off the computer, so I gotta do this real fast......

The concoction would be complete. All they needed was a rock, then they can get out of this dreadful place. Besides, a rock would be easy to find, right?

Wrong!

As soon as they started looking, a telkhine popped from the shadows. Nico drew his sword and slashed at it, but it dodged. Reyna lunged at it, and the telkhine snapped at her legs, it's fangs flashing in the dim light. Finally, Nico and Reyna rushed it from both sides, and it dissolved into dust at their swords.

Nico felt exhausted. The fight with the Icehound had drained him of his energy. But he refused to give up. They had to keep going.

The voices in Nico's head told him to do otherwise. They told him to give in, to stop fighting. He tried ignore them, but it was so compelling. Suddenly, a song entered his head, driving away the voices. 

Not a song, the song. The song he had stuck in his head as he walked that lonely road by nothing but starlight (see Ch 7). He scowled, trying to figure out what song. It suddenly hit him. That was Bianca's voice. 

Every night when he couldn't sleep, Bianca would sing this song to calm him down. He remembered the lyrics so clearly now, he wondered how he could have forgotten them.

Close your eyes

I know what you see

The darkness is high

and you're in ten feet deep

But we've survived

More terrible monsters than sleep

And you know I will be here

To tell you to breathe....

Nico felt a warm feeling spread through him. He was no longer here, but safely, securely, back inside his warm bed in the Lotus Casino. Bianca's voice floated through the air like smooth, warm honey.

  Tu sei il mio soldatino (you're my little soldier)

 la ragione per cui vivo (the reason I live)

 non ti scordar di me (don't forget me)

 io vegliero su di te (i'm watching over you)  

The music seeped through him, going all the way to the marrow of his bones. Nico's heart felt lighter, like someone had given it wings.

  stumbling lost 

The last choice of all that you meet 

It's the cost

 of ruling those 'neath you feet

 Paths you've crossed

and trust you're trying to keep 

You're exhausted

 Listening for a voice that can't speak 

Ma nico mio caro  ( I think this means "My dear Nico" but I'm not sure)

Tu sei il mio soldatino (you're my little soldier)

la ragione per cui vivo (the reason I live)

non ti scordar di me (don't forget me)

io vegliero su di te (i'm watching over you) 

Nico couldn't help but wonder where Bianca was now. Somewhere, living a new life. Was she watching over him, even now?

 So you run 

Through shadows you roam 

seems undone 

By the love you thought you could own

 but he's just one

 of many that you might call home 

And maybe someday

 the bitter will fade from your bones 

Fade from your bones...

Oh

  eri il mio soldatino (you were my little soldier) 

ora un principe oscuro (now a dark prince) 

ma anche per te, c'e una luce (but even for you, there is a light)

 che ad un'altra vita ti conduce (that leads you to another life)  

Nico realized that he was humming along. As the last notes faded from his mind, Nico felt something he hadn't felt ever since he fell into this pit. Something he thought he would never feel again.

Hope.

I almost cried during this! By the way, enjoy the next chapter's cliffhanger! Muah ha ha! Aww I just spoiled the moment. Sorry, my dear readers. Also, I'm announcing that I am starting another ReyNico fanfiction. It's called "Fallen." I hope you read it! :)