Chapter 28

- Payton -

Two days later and the video still hadn't died down. It was driving me crazy. My phone wouldn't stop going off with messages and notifications so I had to turn it off and put it in my bag, relying on everyone else when I needed to call or text someone or find out things from Modest. Speaking of Modest, I'm surprised they hadn't come at me and Niall. It's almost like they've just completely ignored the situation, which is not like them at all.

Anyway once I finally got the attention of management after thirty phone calls, I decided that I would be leaving the tour tomorrow, meaning the Detroit show would be my last show with One Direction.

Honestly, it sucks. I know I screwed up a lot but working with One Direction on their tour has been the best job I'll probably ever have.

"We're going out after the show tonight," Liam says, as we wait backstage.

"Sounds fun," I smile at him, a little teary. He looks at me sympathetically, quickly rubbing my back with one of his hands.

"Don't cry, P," Harry says, turning away with a hand covering his eyes. "You know I'll cry if I see you cry and we are not pretty criers," he continues and I laugh, blinking away the tears in my eyes.

"I'm sorry, Harry. I promise you I won't cry," I say to him, almost breaking my promise when my voice cracks the tiniest bit. The boys laugh at me and I give them each a look, which is enough to get them to stop laughing and go back to whatever they were talking about before. I remain silent and go on my phone for a little bit to respond to texts from my family and friends. I was in the middle of a text to my mom when someone taps me on the arm. I look over and see Niall in the spot Liam was just a minute ago.

"What's up?" I ask him, finishing the text to my mom before locking my phone and looking at him.

"I just wanted to say sorry. If there's any way I could make it up to yo-," Niall starts and I interrupt him.

"Niall, this isn't because of you. This is what I need to do, I need to do this for myself. Every time I mess up while being around you all, I ruin your name too. I'd rather not have that over my head."

Niall goes quiet, probably trying to think of something to say. I rest my head on his shoulder and go back on my phone.

"You don't need to say anything, Niall."

He stays quiet.

***

Not even gonna lie to you. During the show, I got super emotional and teary.

I'm so lame.

Currently, we were out at a club. I'm not sure of the name, but we got in simply because they're One Direction and who would refuse entry to the biggest boyband in the world? There were a lot of phones and flashes as we walked around, but none of the boys seemed to mind so I tried my best to ignore them too.

"What are you gonna do when you leave us, Payton," Niall says, taking a long swig of his beer as I sit next to him.

"I'm gonna sleep for a really long time."

Niall laughs at my answer and wraps an arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer to him as we chat. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Harry with a group of people. They're talking to each other but Harry's glaring, only stopping when he closes his eyes while taking swigs of the drink in his hand.

"Does Harry look angry to you?" I ask Niall, only to get a shrug in response. Based on the response I got, I just let it go and assumed that I was being weird so I went back to talking to Niall and the people around us while nursing the drink I held loosely in my hand. We were in the middle of a group conversation about something that I'm not really sure of when I feel a hand gripping my shoulder. I turn and look up to see Harry standing over me, gaze locked right with mine.