Chapter 17

// February 27, 2015 //

- Payton -

Modest! Management had been stretching the boys thin lately, but Zayn seemed to be getting the worst of it. He'd been in more meetings than the other boys and is sent texts and emails about basically everything, like; what to wear, what I need to wear, where to be, who to talk to, and how to act around me on the daily.

Since Management had been making every decision for him, Zayn had been moody and extra irritable. He spent most of his free time alone and if he was around us, he would be silent. Wouldn't even crack a smile, which broke my heart because his smile is a piece of art. Fortunately though, he would smile onstage when the boys talked to him and when he saw me in the audience. Other than that, it seemed like he was tired and wasn't enjoying this much anymore.

Equally heartbreaking.

At the moment, the boys and I were in catering enjoying our dinner before the boys needed to start getting ready for the show tonight. After a few minutes, the boys of 5 Seconds of Summer walk into catering and the energy just changes so quickly. They greet us and go get food, which is about two plates full for each of them if you're wondering.

"So lovebirds," Michael says, as he and Calum sit across from Zayn and I. "How are you two?" he asks and I nod my head, Zayn not even paying attention to Michael and his question.

"We're fine," I say to Michael before taking a bite of my sandwich. I swallow and then speak again. "If you're gonna ask for a lap dance or another lap dance video, that's not happening," I tell him, patting the top of his hand that's resting on the table. Michael's face turns red and Calum laughs, quickly changing the topic to save his friend from more embarrassment. As we're in the middle of talking, Zayn suddenly gets up and leaves, not saying a word.

"What the fuck?" I accidentally say out loud and the eyes of the boys across from me go wide.

"I had no idea you swore, that was the weirdest," Calum smirks before shoving a forkful of pasta in my mouth.

"Shut up, Calum."

"I'm just saying. I don't think we've ever heard you swear before."

I roll my eyes. "Well, now you have. Congratulations," I say, sticking my tongue out at him, an action he repeats in order to mock me. We continue to act childish until Liam scolds us, making us join their current conversation in an effort to make us stop.

Did it work? Not really.

***

An hour and a half later, I saw a happy Zayn in the dressing area with the other boys. He and the other boys were doing weird things, I'm not sure I could even explain what was happening. Although I was happy about Zayn being happy, I was kind of upset that he just got up and left without an explanation.

I care a lot about him. I'd just like to be there for him, for him to actually tell me what's happening and why he's really irritable and moody and I just wanna help him work out what's happening. I just want him to be okay.

Making it obvious to Zayn that I'm upset with him, I walk past him with my arms crossed and make no eye contact. I sit down on a couch that's as far away from Zayn as possible instead of sitting down and cuddling up next to him like I do pretty much every time. I look up and see a confused look on his face, which makes me feel a bit better on the inside. I see him walk over and then sit beside me, running his hands through my hair.

"Did I do something?" he asks and I nod my head, not verbally responding to him. I hear him sigh. "Do you wanna talk about it?" he asks again and I scoff.