Part Sixteen: Regrets and Explanations

You awoke the next morning with Loki's arm draped across your body and a slight headache. You felt a bit disoriented and carefully removed Loki's limb before rolling out of bed. Then you remembered what had happened last night and grabbed the sheet to cover up.

“Good morning,” a deep voice behind you rumbled.

“'Morning,” you yawned, turning around to face Loki. He smirked at the sheet you were currently wearing. You rolled your eyes at him and sat back down on the edge of the bed.

“This will surely prove to Thor who you lie with.” Loki snickered at his own joke.

Thor... Regret started to form in the pit of your stomach. You shouldn't have done it. You couldn't even remember why you had allowed Loki to bed you. You remembered the night clear as crystal, but not the reason.

“We shouldn't have done it,” you said to Loki regretfully.

“Why not?” Loki asked innocently.

“Because....” a million and one reasons raced through your mind. Because you were engaged to Thor, you might get caught, you could get pregnant. Because you remember on your life why you had gotten into bed with Loki again after all that happened the first time.

“Because?” Loki prodded.

“Because of what happened after last time...”

“Which would be?”

You suddenly remembered that Loki had no recollection of what had happened right before he'd been pounded into dust by Thor. You covered your face with your hand, wanting all of this to go away. You eyed the emerald-green band on your ring finger. Maybe you should just break it and forget all of this. Sighing, you realized it was a little too late to make that call. You had better explain from the beginning.

“How much do you remember?”

“Of what?”

“After the first time, on the roof, how much do you remember after that?

“I remember that lovely bath,” Loki grinned. “I also recollect waiting in the dining room while you ran off with Thor. And getting bored and instead wandering the halls. After that I can't recall anything, and then I remember waking up to you talking with Eir about how amazing I was in bed. Or rather, on the roof.”

You sighed. You had hoped with every fiber in your being that Loki remembered everything important, but clearly there was a hole in his memory. Thor had beaten him up really badly at that time, and Loki's minor amnesia was most likely a direct result.

“Thor beat you up,” you told Loki. “Really badly.”

“Why?” The words seemed to echo in the room for an eternity.

“Because of something you said and did, related to the incident on the roof the night previous.”

“What did I do? Gloat? Surely we are all aware that Thor will never experience a woman's sensual touch.”

You wanted to laugh at Loki's comment but you needed to be serious for the moment.

“In a sense, you did,” you told Loki. “More like you were very obvious in claiming me as your own and pointing out that you were the one to take my purity.” You paused for a moment. “After that, Thor became more livid than I've ever seen and essentially beat the shit out of you before flying out the roof.”

Loki looked a bit confused for a moment, then something clicked and his eyes went wide. “I am deeply sorry about that. My jealousy was able to get the best of me.”

“It's okay. Well, it's not okay, but I forgive you.”

You and Loki stayed quiet for a minute, just looking at each other. Almost as if passing silent words. Suddenly the doorknob turned. Fear of being caught welled up in you.

“Room service!” Eir called cheerfully, waltzing into the room.

“Eir? How did you know we were in here?” You asked the goddess. “Did you hear us last night?” you added sheepishly.

“I'm pretty certain everyone in the palace heard you last night,” Eir replied. “You two are loud.”

Bright red blushes found their way onto both your and Loki's cheeks. Eir laughed. There was a moment of uncomfortable silence that passed between the three of you. You broke it by asking, “So Eir, was there something you wanted to come and tell us?”

Eir thought for a minute before remembering what she had wanted to say and nodding. “I wanted to come and warn you that the real room service will probably be here soon. Also, Frigga is very concerned about your and Loki's sudden disappearance. You may want to go find her before she finds you.”

You nodded and let out a deep sigh. There wasn't going to be an easy way out of this, however, if you listened to Eir, it was going to be a lot simpler.

Eir turned to leave. “I suppose I will leave you get prepared.”

“Thank you,” you said, “for warning us.”

Eir smiled. “Of course. You are welcome.”

Loki looked at you quizzically. “Since when have you two become the closest of friends?”

“Since Eir is kind and accepting if not happy about us.”

“Us?” Loki eyed you, grinning.

You took a deep breath and sighed. Even if you didn't want to admit it, there was obviously something between you and Loki. Taking a deep breath and letting out another sigh, you responded, “Yes, us.”

Loki's grin turned into a genuine smile. He looked at you and instead of lust and mischief, you saw love reflected in his eyes.

You felt like there was something very important you were forgetting. You tried to shake the feeling by suggesting “We should probably take Eir's advice and get ready and out of here.”

Loki sighed, but agreed.

The two of you got ready as quickly as possible and made it out the door just as the maid was making her way down the hall. Quickly, you snuck around the corner so she wouldn't see you.

“I'll go find Frigga,” you told Loki. “You should go find somewhere to be, somewhere away from me. And unless we want a repeat of last time.”

“You may want to bathe before speaking with mother,” Loki suggested. “You smell of my scent, dearest.” He grinned once more, this time in a rather victorious manner.

“That's probably a good idea,” you agreed. “You should probably have a bath as well then.”

“I may, but I am rather fond of the sweet scent of your sweat on my skin.”

“Take a bath,” you commanded. “Unless you want us both to be exiled.”

“Do you really think that mother would pass such harsh punishment?

“No, but your father might.”

“It is true Odin would surely be shocked if he knew his blood-son's fiancée had been with his adopted child.”

“It's not because you're adopted,” you assured Loki. “It's because I'm engaged. And that's exactly why we need to get out of here before we're found.”

“If you insist, dearest.”

This was the second time Loki had called you “dearest”. It struck you as a little strange, but you tried to think nothing of it. You had much more important things than pet-names to worry about right now.

“I'll see you later,” you said to Loki, walking off in the direction of your room.

“See you,” Loki replied, going off in his own direction.