Part Fourteen: Realization

“Hi Liquorice!” You greeted the black stallion. Loki shot you an amused look. “What?” you inquired. “Got a problem with my horse's name?”

“Not at all.” Loki shook his head, still appearing to stifling a laugh. He hoisted you up onto Liquorice, making sure you were steady. Loki stepped into the stirrup and swung his leg over the horse, positioning himself behind you.

“I'm not too good at this...” you admitted.

“It is alright,” Loki spoke softly. “Here, grab the reins.” You did as Loki told you, gripping the leather reins tightly in your hands. Loki's rough hands moved, coming to rest upon yours. His arms encircled you and he moved forward, his body pressing against yours.

“Give the reins a light whip,” Loki instructed. You did so and Liquorice followed your command, beginning to run down the Bifrost. You beamed and looked back at Loki who smiled. Suddenly you felt the need to go faster. You gave the reins a few more whips, urging the black stallion to pick up his pace. Liquorice obliged, speeding down the rainbow bridge at a pace that seemed nearly impossible, even for an Asgardian stallion.

The ride back to Asgard was much quicker than the ride to the Bifrost. Especially with you urging the horse to go faster and faster. When you got back, Loki looked like he felt a little surprised. You supposed he hadn't expected you to steer the horse at that speed. He removed your arms from around you and hopped off of the horse with ease. You followed him off, tripping a little, but catching yourself.

The loud rumbling of your stomach directed Loki's attention back to what he had told Frigga.

“Come on,” he said. “I promised mother I would have you fed.”

“Okay, I guess...” you replied, although your stomach agreed wholeheartedly.

Loki led you through the winding halls back to the very-familiar palace and into the dinning room. All the way there, he kept a firm hold on your hand. However, when you arrived there, Loki released his grip. He pulled out the chair for you, bowing slightly.

“Uh... thank you.....?” This was extremely odd behavior for Loki. He was never this chivalrous. Or nice for that matter. You stared down at the seat he'd pulled out for you, suspecting some sort of prank or trick. Cautiously, you sat down, squeezing your eyes shut. When nothing happened, you opened them slowly. Nothing had changed, except for Loki taking a seat next to you. You were still sitting at the head of the table, in the dining hall, there were no tricks of traps anywhere. You turned to Loki.

“What?” he asked you.

You shook your head. “Nothing, I'm just..... not all that hungry,” you lied. Your stomach roared in protest.

“You have to eat something,” Loki said. He thought for a moment. “Name something, anything in all the nine realms and you shall have it.”

You thought about your little trip to Las Vegas. You had seen tons of signs advertizing food that looked rather delicious. Finally, you decided on one thing.

“I would like birthday cake from Smirnoff.” You stumbled over the last word, but Loki understood you. He flicked his wrist, waving his hand. Both Loki and you were surprised when a bottle appeared before you. You examined it. It said Smirnoff Birthday Cake on the front, but looked a lot like a bottled filled with water. After all, the liquid was clear. You smelled it. It smelled like cake.

You shrugged and took a big swig of it. When the taste hit you, you made a face. It tasted terrible. It was bitter and disgusting and the cake flavoring made it a hundred times worse. You felt desperate to spit it out, but you didn't want to be rude, so you swallowed it all in one gulp. This brought a burning sensation at the back of your throat.

“Are you alright?” Loki asked, watching the whole scene unfold. He grabbed the bottle, sniffing it before taking a small sip. His reaction was about the same as yours was. Loki spit the liquid out, getting it all over the table. He turned to you and apologized, “Sorry....”

“It's okay,” you rasped. “Trust me it would have been worse to swallow it.”

Loki nodded, conjuring a glass of water for you.

You gulped down the entire glass. “Thanks.”

Loki smiled softly. “It was not a problem.”

The two of you stayed silent for a few moments before you spoke. “I think I will pass on eating anything right now.”

“You should eat something,” Loki told you very seriously. “I do not wish for you to loose your strength.”

You sighed, first in frustration, but then in confusion. Since when did Loki care so much about your well-being? I mean sure, you grew up together, so you were close to one-another. But still, it seemed like he was taking complete care of you. Like you were something precious to care for and protect. Your eyes widened in realization.

Loki genuinely loved you. It was the reason he had been so nice to you, the reason he hadn't ever played especially harmful tricks on you, the reason he wanted you to forget him. Loki loved you enough to let you slip through his fingers, to let you leave so you could have a easier life. One without all the complications that being involved with him brought. However, in the end, you were the one who couldn't let go. You choose not to break the ring. Obviously that meant you felt something for him. And he knew it now.

-----------------------

Sorry for the lack of updates, school has returned and has been devouring all my time (and my life for that matter...) and I wasn't home this weekend, so I couldn't update. Sorry!