Rare Love -Chapter 37

-Lexi's POV-

As I dashed from the building, alarms blaring behind me, I ignored the fading sounds of shouts coming from behind me. They wouldn't catch me; they couldn't. I was running far to fast, my hatred and anger fueling me. I knew that Dick would be furious, for I had put myself in danger again, but I couldn't bring myself to care. At least he or any of my friends wouldn't get hurt.

By the time I'd reached central park, I noticed that the General had followed my orders and told the officers in the park to retreat, only keeping the beast within the park, but making no move to kill them. I ran through their defensive lines, managing to shove past them and into the park without much hassle. They called after me, but followed their orders and stayed put as any good soldiers would. And it was a good thing too, because I didn't want anyone to get caught in the crossfire. The monsters were hideous, ripping trees straight from the ground, roots and all. But they didn't see me, or they didn't care for me, because they simply walked past me.

As I approached the Bethesda fountain, he saw me before I did. When I rounded the corner, he was already standing, dusting off his suit and walking towards me. I instinctively reached for my dagger, but a small voice in the back of my head (that sounded both annoyingly and strangely comforting like Rifter's voice) chided me, and I decided that it wasn't the time to fight. Not yet.

"I wondered when you would get here. Where's your little team? Parking the car?" Vandal Savage said, laughing evilly at the last bit.

"Sorry to disappoint, but I came alone," I sneered, clenching my fists.

"Oh, no disappointment at all!" he cheered. "Now we can talk honestly. Come, sit down."

"Sorry, but I can't," I replied, trying to sound disappointed. "This is business. I've come on behalf of the United Nations. If you don't stop this... this invasion, we will be given no choice but to retaliate with full force."

"Lets be serious, young one. No one sent you. And I'd bet that no one even knows that you're here, do they?" He had me there. No one had any idea where I'd gone, and though I was sure that they had some idea, it would certainly take them awhile to get there.

"Fair enough," I shrugged. "I came here against order, asking you to stop this. It's ridiculous, and innocent people are getting hurt."

"You think I care? I have no better side of myself for you to appeal to, my dear girl. I don't care that people are dying. I care that my plan is working. You see those monsters? I've released over a hundred of them all over the world. They have a genetically altered sense of smell, and are fine tuned to sniff out those humans without the gene that you posses."

"That's why they ignored me when I passed them?"

"Yes. Of course, they listen to me, and if I demanded it, they would attack you."

"So they're not kid-friendly then?" I joked dryly. "What a shame."

"You could still join us, you know. It's not too late." Savage offered. "I could provide you and your loved ones sanctuary."

"You could, but you wouldn't. You said it yourself. There is no better side of you that I could possibly appeal to. You're nothing but darkness and ice inside. Heartless," I spat.

"You're in no position to talk to me about being dark, my dear," he chuckled. "And you're wrong. I would save your friends and family. Something you have to make sacrifices to get what you want."

"And what do you want that I could possibly give you?"

"You," He replied. "You are what I have always wanted. I want you to join me; to stand by my side in this victory. You are my creation, and it is only right."