Best you've ever had- Chapter 27

-Lexi's POV- 

Once again, I woke up long before Dick did the next morning. So, I decided to be productive and stop by my parent's penthouse and say hello. I wrote Dick a note saying that I was going to be home soon, and then Anubis and I took our time, strolling leisurely through Upper East Gotham, enjoying the rare, relaxing day. My mind kept wandering though, as I wondered what was to come. It had been a bit over a week since my unscheduled meeting with Savage, and I knew that it was only a matter of time until he began his assault. I hadn't been sitting in on any of the recent Justice League meetings, but  hoped that they were in contact with the United Nations, preparing for war.

When we reached the door the the lobby of my parents building, I noticed a strawberry-blond girl arguing with the doorman. 

"If you could just buzz her through the intercom and ask her, I promise that she'll let me up!" The girl exclaimed in a familiar voice that I couldn't quite place. 

"I'm sorry, but Mrs. Grant isn't allowing unauthorized visitors in to see her daughter, and as i said before, no one is home. If you leave your name and number for when they return, I'm sure that we could clear this right up." The doorman said, obviously getting annoyed with the situation. Knowing that by 'Mrs.Grant', they meant my mother, I decided to intervene. 

"Excuse me, but what seems to be the problem?" I asked, approaching the desk. The girl spun around, and I finally realized where I'd recognized her from.

"Alexia!" Delancy, one of my best friends from boarding(spy) school cried, throwing her arms around me. 

"Oh my gosh, what are you doing here?" I asked with just as much enthusiasm. 

"I'm in town on work, and I just had to see you! I haven't seen or heard from you since... well, you know..." I did know. The last time we had spoken was when I had brought Dick to my high school reunion, which had been mere weeks before my abduction. 

"We have to catch up,"  I grinned, taking her hand. "It's okay, she's a friend." I told the doorman, who just looked relieved to have her gone. Once we were in the elevator, I turned to her. "Why didn't you just like... climb through a window or something? I know you well enough to know that a doorman can't stop  you from getting what you want." 

She laughed. "I actually tried that first, but the security up there is super tight, and I didn't bring any equipment to hack it, so I figured that I'd try my luck and con my way in. It didn't go as well as I'd planned." 

"I can see that," I stated as we reached my floor and stepped into the foyer. I bent down and unclasped Anubis's lead, watching him to make sure that he didn't jump onto my mother's sofa. I motioned for her to join me in the kitchen, where I got a glass of water for both her and myself. "So, what really brings you here?"

"Technically work. I'm with the CIA now, as you know, and they sent me to New York to work with the U.N. with this new invasion threat. Your mom asked if I could make a detour and check on you while I was in the area. My connection flight to New York is tomorrow at noon." I smiled, thinking of my mother. My real, birth mother. I'd not known her for long, but she taught at an all-girls school for sys in training. For most of my life, she'd been in a coma, up until about 5 years ago, though I'd thought she was dead. I'd only been able to see her once since my kidnapping.

"How is she?" I inquired, sipping from my glass. 

"Good." Delancy shrugged. "She misses you." 

"I miss her too. When this is all over, I'll have time to come and visit." 

My best friend smiled at me. "I wish that I'd been able to see you when you were in the hospital. I was just so busy with work that I couldn't get away."