Shadow Travel- Chapter 14

Before I start, I just want to say that I have some reallllyy good excuses for not updating!! I've been at camp and today I just got a new puuupppyy!! I love him so much and I might incorporate him into the story in some kind of way. :) ok lets start...

-Lexi's POV-

When I woke up the next morning, I was still in Dick room, wrapped up in his arms on the bed. He was sleeping so peacefully, and I knew that it partially had to do with the fact that I'd had no nightmares, which meant that I didn't wake up screaming. Well, that's not entirely true. I'd had nightmares, I just didn't show that I was afraid of them. In my dreams during the night, I'd dreamed up a forest and I was stranded in a clearing. It had been dark out, and there were glowing eyes watching me from the trees. An angry pack of wolves stepped out and I should have been afraid for my life, and maybe I was. I don't really remember. But all I know is that  if I was, I didn't let them know that I was afraid. After having a stare-down with their leader, they eventually stood down and crawled up to me like little house dogs.

It was then that I knew for sure that our theory was correct: Nightmares feed off of fear. Without it, they're powerless. I also realized that even if I was afraid, nightmares or not, they were still my nightmares, and I figured that I could control them, given practice.

Deciding to let Dick try and catch up on his much needed sleep, I gently untangled myself from him and slipped off the bed, deciding to take a shower. Going back to my room, I stripped down and jumped in, taking off my sunglasses after I was situated, although I left my eyes closed, not wanting to break any more glass. Luckily, Barbra had stocked me up on toiletries the day before, so I could wash my hair without using Dick's shampoo and end up smelling like a guy.

When I was satisfied, I felt around on the counter for my sunglasses, and winced when I heard them clang to the ground. I knew that they hadn't broken, because Bruce had assured me that they were practically indestructible, but there was no way that I would find them with my eyes closed like this. Hesitantly, I allowed my eyes to slowly open, cringing as I adjusted to the lighting. I waited, and was relieved when nothing happened. Apparently if there was no one around to terrorize, my nightmares stayed in check. I quickly dried myself off and slipped the glasses back on before tying a towel around my body and slipping into my bedroom to change. My parents had yet to hear the good news about my being able to see, so I thought that I'd stop by.

Looking over the clothes, I sighed in relief that someone had gone shopping for me and had enough sense to buy things for cold weather. It was mid-November, so I selected comfortable, loose-fitting sweat pants, a long sleeve tee shirt, and a black jacket with a hood. I was slightly self conscious about my body considering I was a bit too skinny(in other words, I was skin and bones) and I had too many bruises and scars to go out without being asked if I was being abused at home.

After throwing my hair in a bun, applying generous amounts of concealer on the visible bruises, and pulled on some jogging shoes, I turned and grabbed my new cell phone(seeing as my other  one was somewhere in space) from its place where it was charging on the floor . Leaning against a wall, I shot my mom a text that I would be stopping by in a few minutes. Once I'd collected my things into a purse, my stomach growled and I made a mental note to stop by the kitchen downstairs and see Alfred about breakfast. Flicking my lights off, I reached for the door handle, but someone from the other side opened it. I closed my eyes, bracing myself for the impact that never came. The air around me grew cold for a moment, causing me to shiver.

When I opened them, I found that I was somehow standing in the dark kitchen panty. Managing to stumble out, I gave Alfred quite a scare.

"Ms. Lexi, what on earth are you doing in the pantry!" he exclaimed.