Chapter 20: You'll Never Lose Me

  Ken's P.O.V.

   It's Saturday morning, and all the girls are piled up in my house sleeping soundly. I tiptoed over the girls silently walking toward the kitchen. I tripped over Déjà making her roll over. 

   Her eyes fluttered open, she softly laughed, "You tripped, didn't you?"

   I chuckled nervously, "What? No I didn't."

   "How did you magically appear on the floor?" She sarcastically asked.

   "I just loved the floor so much I had to hug it." 

   "Mhm, sure. Hug it with your face." She sat up and rubbed her eyes. "What're you doing up so early anyways?"

   "Oh, nothing." I stood walking towards my destination swiftly.

   "Oh, really?" She raised an eyebrow as we walked down the foyer, into the den, making her way to the kitchen. 

   "Mhm, wanna help me cook breakfast?"

   "Sure," she shrugged. We searched through cabinets, the food pantry, and the refrigerator for breakfast ingredients. Just as Dee started on the pancake batter, I crept away silently to the front door. I opened the door to reveal Roc on the front porch.

   "It's about time you opened the door." He shook his head, walking in past me. I took hold of his arm, making him stop.

   "Ssh, the girls are still sleeping, and Déjà's up in the kitchen cooking." I whispered to him.

   "And you let her in the kitchen?! She gone poison y'all." He chuckled.

   "I will, if you keep talking 'bout me." Dee crept behind us, with a mixing bowl in one hand and a whisk in the other.

   "See? What I tell ya?" He whispered to me, as she hit him in the head. I chuckled at them. 

   "So you gone help us or not?" I asked, pushing him into the kitchen. I put a spatula in his hand and gave him the packet of bacon.

   "Uh uh," Dee objected, "he can't cook!"

   "Yes, he can, I'm sure." I reassured her.

   Roc shrugged as Dee retorted, "Ask him what his special breakfast is, Ken."

   I rolled my eyes, "what could it possibly be?" 

   "Cereal and water," he answered.

   "What the twist? You on that 'Joe?'" I asked.

   "But that's what I cook." He chuckled.

   "Nope, I can't deal with this." I shook my head. "We teaching you how to cook, today." 

   "Whatcha mean by, 'we?'" Dee questioned, picking a grape out of the bunch and popping it in her mouth.

   I grabbed her hand, "As in you and me. Keep up, keep up!"

  Roc's P.O.V.

   That's exactly what they did. They 'taught' me how to cook. We prepared pancakes, grits, bacon, and sliced sausages. Through all the instructions and burnt pancakes, breakfast came out surprisingly well. Kennedy and I set the table, and Déjà went to wake up everyone.

   All the sleepy, drowsy faces entered the kitchen and sat at the table.

   "What's he doing here?" Joe pointed out Roc and chuckled. "You couldn't go a day without him?"