together

Finnick's POV

I smiled at Penn's nervousness, it was cute. Her hands gripped mine, her eyes darted around the elevator. Her wet hair was quickly braided and she was wearing her grey jumpsuit.

It had taken everything I had to get her to shower and get dressed before I took her to fetch Rylan. During the process, I told her everything I've done for and with him.

"Thank you, F." She said, breaking the silence in the elevator.

"For what?" I said, turning my head to look at the small girl.

"For being his dad when no one else could," Penn said, a nervous smile on her face.

"If you're thanking me, thank Peeta too. I wouldn't have been able to do it without him." I replied, leading her out of the elevator slowly.

"I will, remind me." She said, her nerves growing with every step we took.

I let go of her hands and stepped behind her, beginning to rub the tension out of her shoulders as we stopped by the door to the childcare facility.

"He hasn't spoken much since we came here, since you left for the Games actually." I told her, knowing she needed a few more seconds. "He's made nicknames for Peeta and I, and that's what he says."

"He speaks with his eyes, he's always been that way." Penn says, nodding. "When he speaks, it's quiet. His words are thought out and relatively smart for his age."

"I agree, he's very smart for only being four years old." I say, placing my hand on the door handle. "He likes to watch Beetee play with the computer and his inventions."

"Open the door," Penn whispered, her eyes clouding with tears. "I can't wait much longer."

I nod, smiling at her as I slid the door open and stepped in. Mrs. A looked up at me, smiling at Penn when we took a step in. She was notified about the plans.

"Do you want me to go get him with or without you?" I whispered into Penn's ear, my hand on her lower back.

"Without me," I barely heard her whisper back, her tears already streaming down her face.

I nodded once again, kissing her cheek as I went to go get Rylan, who was in his usual place.

"Little man!" I said, kneeling to block his view of his sister. "You ready?"

"Finn!" He said, his eyes wide with excitement of seeing me. He quickly threw his arms around my neck, hauling himself into my arms.

I chuckled, hugging him tightly. After our hug, and against his will, I set Rylan back onto the ground.

"I have a surprise for you, but you have to promise me something." I said, smiling when he nodded quickly. "They are hurting and can't be squeezed too hard, can you promise to be gentle with them?"

"Yes!" Rylan answered, he was fidgeting in his spot.

I smiled, keeping my eyes on his face as I shifted my body, bringing his big sister into his line of vision.

He stared for a minute, his eyes seemed to be analyzing the sobbing girl at the door. He didn't seem to know who she was.

Rylan's eyed widened when he finally realized that the girl was his sister. When he did, he sent himself flying towards her.

I turned to see Penn break, falling to her knees and engulfing her little brother in a hug; sobs shook both of their bodies.

I smiled when Penn stood, holding Rylan to her body as close as she possibly could without hurting herself. She held him tight, running her fingers through his hair and kissing all around his face.

"Ry, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry," Penn said when she managed to get her crying under control. "I didn't want to leave, I had to. I didn't mean to."

I saw Rylan nod, his tiny hands moving to his sister's face. He held her gaze with his own; I could tell he was speaking to her through his eyes.

"I won't ever leave you again, okay?" Penn said, pressing a kiss to her brother's nose. "It's going to be you, me, and Finnick now. Okay?"

"Finn, Penn, Ry!" Rylan said, giggling as he was tickled by Penn.

"Yes," Penn said, her eyes turning to me. "Finn, Penn, and Ry."

~

I smiled as I watch Rylan show Penn how to empty her tray after breakfast. Since their reunion, Rylan has been showing Penn everything he can.

"She raised him perfectly, didn't she?" I hear Johanna say, sitting next to me.

"He's the person he is because of her, so I'd say yes." I said, my eyes slowly turning to Johanna and the rest of the usual table.

"You really do love them," Prim said, sending me a kind smile.

"I do," I replied, my smile growing at the sight of everyone, even Katniss, smiling.

"We know," Peeta said, clapping my shoulder as he and Katniss rose from their seats.

"Plutarch wants to meet with you and Penn in a couple hours, don't be late." Katniss says before bidding everyone goodbye.

"Finnick, can I talk to you? Privately?" Issac said, standing from his seat before he was given an answer.

"They'll be back soon," I say, not moving an inch.

"She was mine first," Prim said, winking at me. "We have to talk baby names!"

"And I'm up," I said, standing from my seat quickly. I heard Johanna and Prim laugh as Issac and I left the cafeteria.

"Let's go see Bentley, yeah?" Issac said, once again not waiting for an answer before walking to the elevator.

"Sure," I said, following him to the elevator.

~

"You love her, right? More than anyone, anything?" Bentley said from his bed, his fingers playing with a picture of his sister.

"Bentley, he does." Issac said, rubbing his friend's arm gently. "Finnick is good for her."

Bentley looked up at Issac, holding his gaze for what seemed like a eternity. Their stares were hard, but not cold. Neither backed down, the silently conversation was frightening.

"Okay," Bentley says, breaking the stare down with Issac to look at me.

"You have our permission."

~~~

Only one more chapter after this and a final authors note, then Speared will be done :(

I'm sad but then I'm not, there's so much more to come. Don't worry.

-M