little man

Finnick's POV

The day after I spoke with Issac, I returned to my usual routine. Wake up, shower, pickup Rylan, go to breakfast. After breakfast, take him on a walk, drop him off after school, and go train.

So after my restless night, I went about my day. I showered quickly and went to get Rylan.

Since I'm not his family, Rylan wasn't allowed to stay with me. This upset us both, I was the one of the only people he trusted down here. It was me and Peeta, who had been so helpful with Rylan.

I knocked on the daycare door, smiling at the children inside. All these children didn't have any family or their parents were at work.

"Finn!" I heard Rylan yell, running up to me.

"Little man!" I laugh, scooping him up into my arms. "Were you good for Mrs. Anderson?"

Rylan nodded, cuddling into my chest. I looked up at the teacher, who smiled and nodded at me.

"That's my boy," I said, ruffling his hair as I turned to leave.

"Wait! His bear!" Mrs. A said, rushing his bear over to me. I took it, thanking her, before walking down to the dining hall for breakfast.

"No!" Rylan said, hiding his face in my neck, as I filled our tray up with our designated breakfast.

"Sorry, dude, we have to follow the rules." I say, carrying him and our tray over to my table.

My table consisted of the saved Victors; Katniss, Peeta, Haymitch, Johanna, and Beetee. Also, Effie, Gale, and Plutarch sat with us.

"Ry!" Peeta said as I sat, tickling his small sides.

I rolled my eyes, setting Rylan between Peeta and I. I smiled at everyone expect for two. Instead, I nodded to Plutarch and Katniss.

"When are we getting them?" I say, breaking the silence.

"Soon," Plutarch says, a slight smile on his face. "You and Katniss aren't going."

"What?!" Katniss and I said, staring at Plutarch in bewilderment.

"We can't have either of you putting the mission in jeopardy if something doesn't go as planned," Haymitch explained for Plutarch, who would've been much gentler.

"She's my sister!" Katniss said, crossing her arms stubbornly.

"Katniss, he has a point." Peeta said, looking up from helping Rylan eat. "You, and Finnick, would do anything to save Prim and Pennia. If something goes wrong, then they wouldn't be able to control you."

"And then we could possibly kill everyone?" I ask, playing with my mushy eggs on my tray.

"Exactly," Haymitch said, smirking at Katniss and myself.

"Fine but we will be in the loading docks when you get back," Katniss negotiated.

"We don't know how serious their injuries will actually be," Plutarch explained. "So, how about the hospital? We already have rooms ready for each of them."