Chapter Eighteen

Summer with the Blake Brothers

Chapter Eighteen

Elle’s POV

            Jake and I were laying in the bed of his truck, blankets were piled high along with a few pillows. It was still dark outside as we waited for the sun to rise up. It had been two weeks since Lexi had set us up at the party. I’m glad she decided to set us up. We had spent these last two weeks just getting to know each other and going on plenty of dates. When Jake would bring Jeremy over to play with Melanie he would always have another idea for a date, and I never complained.

            Jake’s hound found my chin as he turned my head before letting his lips meet mine. When we pulled away and he rested his forehead on mine he asked, “Will you be my girlfriend?”

            My eyes found his and I nodded before kissing his lips one more time. I didn’t think about the fact I was leaving in a month, I just kissed him back and let my worries slip away.

            A month has passed since Jake asked me to be his girlfriend and I couldn’t be happier. We only had two weeks left in South Carolina before Lexi and I were scheduled to leave back to California. I didn’t want to think about having to break up with Jake or seeing Melanie pass away. I prayed every night for her recovery, the doctors say it would take a miracle but that didn’t stop me from praying and hoping.

            I knew Lexi was having a hard time dealing with this. In two days Melanie was to return to the hospital. And so we had two days to finish the last thing on her bucket list. But I knew that Lexi had everything planned and would make it perfect. Melanie had no idea but everyone else did, and we were all trying to make it as perfect as possible.

            “Babe.” Jake said intertwining his fingers with mine. “You need to stop worrying about her.”

            “I can’t.” I told him. “That little girl just doesn’t deserve this life. She deserves to grow up and see the world.”

            “But maybe that’s just not meant to happen.”

            “Or maybe she just needs as few more prayers, miracles do happen Jake, and Melanie needs one.” I could feel the tears welling in the back of my eyes but I refused to let them fall.

            Jake pulled me back into his chest so my face dug into his shirt and wrapped his arms around my waist. “No matter what happens, we can get through this, together.”

            I felt him kiss the top of my head as I nodded and finally let the tear fall from my face and onto his shirt. I haven’t known this little girl very long but I love her and I don’t want to see such a young girl come to the end of her life. She doesn’t deserve this, I think as I silently send a prayer up to God.