Chapter Four

Chapter Four:

Lexi’s POV

“What do you mean?” I asked carefully.

“I mean, she doesn’t have much longer.” Oliver spoke softly, tears welling up in his eyes just like mine.

“How much longer?” I asked, fearing the answer.

“Are you sure you want to know?” he asked, his eyes locking with mine.

“I want to know.”

“The end of the summer.”

I sat on the beach, staring at the water. Boys were out windsurfing while the little kids stayed in the shallow water; splashing and laughing. Families were sat on the sand, building a sandcastle, and others were just getting some sun. I could smell the French fries down the beach and the sunscreen lingering in the air.

I laid back on the sand, staring up at the sky, picking out the different shapes. A flower, a fish, a heart. I couldn’t fight the tears that were pricking the back of my eyes. This wasn’t fair, why should a small girl get her life taken from her? What did she do to deserve this?

Melanie was a sweet girl, kind and beautiful and funny. She was the strongest little girl I’ve ever met, and now she was being plucked from this world before she could even live it.

Why was this happening?

Why did it seem like everyone I knew and loved was being taken from this world and away from me? My father laid buried in the ground, and technically my mother is still alive, but she might as well not be when Todd’s around.

The sound of someone sitting next to me, snapped my head in their direction and I gave him a small smile. We didn’t talk to each other, we didn’t look at each other, we just enjoyed each other’s company. We needed that right now.

It wasn’t until I saw his shoulders shaking softly that I finally looked at him. His hair was messed up, his clothes ruffled, and bags laid beneath his eyes. We locked eyes before I wrapped my arms around his neck and brought his head down on my shoulder, where he proceeded to cry.

He wrapped his arms around me tightly and cried. “I’m so sorry.” I whispered to Trent. “I know that’s not what you want to hear right now. But I’ll be by your side the entire time. I promise.”

“Thank you.”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Do I get to go home?” Melanie asked me as I sat back in the chair next to her hospital bed.

“Not yet sweetie.” I spoke softly. “But you will be able to soon.”

“You promise?” She asked.

“I promise.”

“I don’t like this bed. It’s not as comfy as mine.” She looked down at the white bed with distaste.

“That’s because it doesn’t have a million stuffed animals, like the one you have at home.” Trent chuckled as he walked in the room, and pulled a chair up right next to mine. “But we can change that.” He got up from the chair and walked out the door before returning with a hand full of stuff animals. His parents followed swiftly behind with more stuffed animals.

“My stuffed animals!” Melanie cried happily as she sat up in the bed and smiled.

“You brought her stuffed animals from home?” I asked him quietly as he sat back down beside me. He only nodded his head, not taking his eyes off his sister.

“Can you tell me all their names?” I asked, which she happily obliged and began to tell me all their names.

“Does she know yet?” I asked as we stood outside in the hallway, giving her some privacy with the doctor.

“No.” he looked away while fingering the top of his coffee cup. “I really don’t want her to worry about it.”

“Do your parents feel the same way?” I questioned.

“No, they want to tell her. They say it’s unfair to let her believe she’s getting better, when in fact she’ll just be getting worse.”

“Then maybe you should tell her.”

“No.”

“Trent, she’s your baby sister. She has a right to know what’s going on with her. No matter how much you want to protect her, when she finds out that you kept this from her, she’s going to be very upset with you. Is that what you want her to feel like when she leaves? Do you want that? Because I don’t want that for you.”

“I’ll tell her.”

“Melanie?” I asked quietly as I opened the door to her hospital room. She looked at me with red swollen eyes. The occasional hiccup sounded as I made my way towards her bed.

“I’m going to die.” She stated. “I’m really going to die.”

I chose not to say anything as I enveloped her in a hug, before she cried. “I made something just in case.” She spoke softly as she reached over towards the table next to her and took out a piece of white paper.

“What is this?” I asked.

“When I get out of here, I want your help to complete all of these before I die.”

“A bucket list?”

“Yeah, these are all the things I want to do before I leave.”

“Then we will do everything on this list.”

******************

Hey y'all, I know this is very short but it's just a filler.

I hope y'all liked it.

I don't know when I'll be able to upload again. Softball practice starts this week. It will be everyday monday through friday. And then games start in a couple weeks. So I'm going to be very busy.

Comment & Vote!!!