Chapter Five

Chapter Five:

Lexi’s POV

We exited the hospital with Melanie following in her wheel chair. We had spent the entire morning begging for us to be able to take her home. The doctor was hesitant at first, worrying about her. But after coming to the conclusion that she was going to die, and that she would be more comfortable at home with her family and friends, he reluctantly agreed. He had decided that as long as we come back to the hospital three times a week for checkups, that everything would be fine.

Trent lifted her up out of her wheelchair and placed her gently into the seat of the car. The big smile on her face never seemed to leave as we all hopped in and drove off to our first destination. I watched as Melanie sat back in her chair, he head resting on Trent’s as she closed her eyes and her breathing evened.

We were nearing out destination, and I couldn’t help the smile that played on my lips. We had looked over her bucket list, the entire night wondering what we could do first, when I remembered what was happening on the beach the next day. So instead of just going home and relaxing like I had originally planned, we were going to the beach!

“Melanie, time to wake up.” Trent whispered in her ear, shaking her slightly.

“Are we home?” she asked tiredly.

“Not exactly, we figured we would do something more fun first. If that’s okay with you?”

“What are you doing?”

Oliver and I looked at each other with smiles, “Sandcastle Contest!” we said together.

Her jaw dropped as she looked out at the beach, where families stood together, and a board read, Sandcastle Contest Today! Come and join! She squealed before fumbling with her seat belt and jumping out of the car. “Come on! I can’t wait!” she said excitedly before hobbling down towards the sand, occasionally stopping to catch her breath.

“Melanie, please take it easy.” Trent advised following closely behind his sister.