Chapter 25

Sammy’s POV

He sat down next to me but I didn’t turn to face him. I couldn’t. I wasn’t able to move. It’s as if every part of my body was turned off. I had no feeling in my body. I was just there.

Wesley put his arms around me and pulled me closer to him. I let my body fall where he let it.  I didn’t fight him. I just let him do what he wanted to me. His hand rubbed my arm up and down trying to comfort me but it wasn’t working. Nothing he did would ever work. He has helped me through so many hard times but this is one that is out of his grasp. There is nothing he can do about it. There is nothing anyone can do. Just let me sit here and mourn on my best friend’s death that I caused.

Wesley’s POV

She wouldn’t move. I tried comforting here but it wasn’t working. I’ve never seen her like this. Let alone, I’ve never seen anyone like this. I didn’t know that this state of depression existed. That is what she is in right now. Depression.  She refuses to move on from Kate’s death.

I don’t know what to do. I’m trying to help her but she won’t even let me do that.

“Sammy please. Talk to me. Say something.” I say softly. I just need to hear her voice again. When she told me to leave I died a little bit. The way her voice cracked and how rusty it was, was something I had never seen before.

The last time I had seen her even close to this was when she was telling me about her mother and her ex. But even then was different because she couldn’t stop crying. This was 100 times worse. She did nothing. She felt nothing.

“Please Wes. Just leave. Please.” She whispered. It was barely audible. I don’t know if her voice could have gone much louder. She doesn’t have much energy.

“I’m not going anywhere until I know you’re okay.” I say confidently.

Kate was a friend of mine too. We have become close over Sammy and my relationship. I wanted so bad to just sit here and cry with her but I needed to be strong. I needed to show her that things were going to be okay. That we could make it through this…together.

“I’m not going to be okay Wesley.” She speaks so softly.

“Yes you will Sammy. I know its tough now but-“I’m cut off by Sammy. Her voice is a little smoother than before but there are still some hoarse words coming out.

“No Wes. I won’t.” She says sternly. It’s quiet. But it’s forceful.

“I know she was your best friend Sammy but time heals all wounds. Everything will-“

“Don’t say everything will be okay.” She says and pushes herself off my chest.

This is the only response I have gotten from Sammy since I’ve been here. I expected the first thing for her to do when she broke would be to cry. But it seems like she is letting out all her anger. But why is it there? What does she have to be angry about?

“But it will.” I whisper. I don’t really know what to do. She’s fragile right now and I don’t want to go too far. She’s in a state of depression and you can only do/say too much before they fall farther in.

Sammy’s POV

I’m sick of people telling me it is all going to be okay. Kate did it when my mom went to jail and when Chris and I broke up. She would say it when Wes and I hit a rough patch in our relationship. It seems that everyone says it.

But it’s different this time. I lost my best friend and I’m the reason for it. It won’t be okay. I’m never going to get her back. I can’t make things right with her again. She ended our friendship before I even had the chance to fight for it.