Chapter 2 - updated

Chapter 2

"Would you like some pancakes, officer?" Katelyn asked as she finished plating Grant's food.

"Please call me Lucy and sure," smiled the officer. She had stayed overnight and now they were waiting for the Fenner's to arrive.

Kate plated pancakes for everyone and offered Grace some cheerios. Footsteps on the front walk made her turn to the sound before the visitors had even reached the door. Un-phased Officer Lucy sat at the table along with Katelyn's sisters chewing idly Grant turned to his sister; he too stood and began to walk toward the door.

After the knock, Grant opened the door. On the other side of the door stood a woman and a man, Mister and Misses Fenner; presumably. They match well. Misses Fenner was a beautiful woman, her hair was long and dark brown, but it was pinned back in a sophisticated manner. Her eyes are bright and beautiful bright green; she smiled at them. Mister Fenner didn't look near as happy, warm, and inviting as Misses Fenner; a stern looking face made his features hard and very familiar looking. Then Katelyn noticed him.

"Jon!" she screeched and race past the Fenner's to Jon, Sasha's boyfriend and engulfed him in a hug, a familiar face in a crowd of strangers.

"Katelyn? I didn't know we were coming to visit you?" Jon said surprised as he pulled away slightly to look at her. His eyes searched hers for something.

"I didn't know your name was Fenner." Katelyn muttered trying to squirm from his arms.

"Yeah," Jon said letting her go and  rubbing his hand through his hair. "Jon Fenner. This is my mom, Sara, and my dad, Brandon." Jon introduced everyone, "I am sorry about your parents."

Being the protective brother which Grant is, he stepped forward. "I am Grant, Katelyn's brother. It's nice to meet you." His hand was out firmly awaiting a handshake.

Kate tried not to chuckle as Jon and her brother shook hands, but it slipped some. "So Katelyn, do you mind if we come in?" Sara asked.

"Of course, sorry," she said backing up, letting the Fenners into her family home.

"Well, I see the Fenners have everything under control, I will be leaving now." Officer Lucy said as she walked out the door.

Katelyn frowned knowing life was changing for her and her siblings. She walked over to Grace as she began to cry and cooed her gently. She was missing their mother too, Katelyn tried to sooth her.

"Katelyn, do you mind if we speak um..." Sara's nose crinkles some, "privately? Jon can you watch the kids for a bit? Maybe get to know Grant."

"I am seventeen," Grant mumbled. "Maybe..." he began, but Katelyn cut him off.

"It's okay Grant. Go watch the girls."

Katelyn sat down at the table and watched as Jon headed off into the living room with the girls. Grant held Grace following behind grudgingly.

Sara began to speak and Katelyn turned to look at her, "I know this is hard for you dear, but I would," she paused and revised, "we would like it if you would come live with us and your siblings."

"How did you know my parents?" Katelyn questioned bypassed,

Interesting enough, Brandon began this time. "They used to be our neighbors. They were great friends, we knew you when you were little and your brother was still cooking in your mother's oven."

"Oh," she frowned. For some reason, she was hoping for more. She was hoping for a family that she had now lost. She needed her grandparents, aunts, or uncles that they don't know.