Chapter 13 update

Chapter 13

Jon hated the night watch, but he didn't have a choice when one of the border patrollers had gone away to visit family. He walked over to the old shed and stripped his clothing.

"Hey," Zane stretched beside him.

"Why are you out here?" Jon questioned.

"I told you I want two patrollers on every shift, even if that means I get stuck helping out," Zane grumbled.

"Okay," Jon yawned.

They trotted the border for what seemed like forever, even though it had only been an hour. "Did you hear that?" Zane stopped; he tilted his head and turned to the south.

"You're hearing things," Jon shook his head.

"No I'm not. What if it's the stray female, what if she's come back?" Zane said eagerly as he trotted toward the noise.

He knew better, the son of an alpha, trained with the best of the best, but he didn't care at the moment if he was risking everything. Jon growled softly as he raced after his leader. "Zane," he groaned softly.

"This doesn't smell like a female," Zane paused. "ROGUE!" he growled.

The two panthers roared in unison as they raced toward the scent. Zane alerted his guards. Before too long, they found the source of the scent. A big golden brown mountain lion, not sure of what to do, paced back and forth with a slight limp in a small gully, which was well known by the pride to avoid.

Zane laughed, he stood proudly at the top of the gully watching as the golden mountain lion tried again and again to jump the edge of the cliff. He called through the mind link, which all shifters shared, "Trapped?" he questioned.

The golden brown mountain lion stopped moving and looked around curiously. Zane chuckled again, the shifter acted strangely, he thought.

"Up here..." Zane barked. This time he used his alpha tone to snap, "Why are you here, rogue?"

"Who are you?" the mountain lion questioned.

"Who am I?" Zane roared. "Who are you? You are trespassing."

"I am not! I live here!" he replied tiredly. "Listen, I'm tired and just want to go back home to bed. Can you help me get out of here?"

"Who are you?" Jon questioned this time.

The golden mountain lion turned around and began again examining the gully he had fallen into. He desperately wanted to get out, but he had too much pride to ask for help.

"SHIFT!" Zane roared. The cat paced and snarled. He wasn't about to listen to orders.