Chapter Twenty Five | Gotta Love Family

Turned out I didn't even need to ring Sophie when I got home.

Because she was standing in the kitchen with my dad, peeling potatoes and chatting away like there was no tomorrow.

And if I hadn't been so eager to just drag her upstairs and tell her what happened, I probably would have laughed at the picture in front of me. Dad couldn't cook that well, and Sophie wasn't much better, so it made the whole situation even weirder, them looking all domesticated and knowing in the kitchen.

"Oh, hey Harls!" Dad called out cheerfully as I walked into the room, the air fainting smelly of curry. I didn't even want to know what Sophie was stirring in the big pot as she turned to wave at me.

"Hey...guys, what are you doing?"

"We're making dinner, you hungry?" Sophie asked, looking at me questionally.

"Uh, yeah. But can I talk to you first, upstairs?"

"Sure," Sophie handed the spoon over to my dad, who resumed stirring the liquid in the pot as she followed me out of the kitchen. "I won't be long, Gordon!"

When we reached the stairs, I sent her a weird look. "After all this time I thought you would have learnt that my dads name is Alex."

Sophie rolled her eyes, padding up the carpeted stairs in her socks. "I know what his name is, he's really bossy in the kitchen, so I started calling him Gordon, after Gordon Ramsey."

I laughed. "I bet he loves that."

"Almost as much as he loves you and Marley." Sophie said in a bright, sarcastic voice. I laughed even more at her tone, walking through the open door into my room with her right behind me. "Is this going to be one of those conversations where I should shut the door?"

"Probably." 

"Okay," Sophie nodded, letting the door swing back to close behind her. When we heard the click of the latch catching, I climbed onto my bed and lay face down in the pillows, my head still swimming with what had happened today. 

Maybe it was because I wasn't used to so many good things happening all at once. Maybe that's why I couldn't quite wrap my head around the fact that Flynn and I, although still unspoken, had started something. 

Something more then good. Something amazing.

I wasn't used to amazing. 

"Okay, stop groaning and talk to me." The bed dipped beside me, Sophie's elbow hitting me in the side on her way down to the bed. I grunted when it dug into my ribcage, not letting up, and then I realised she was trying to roll me over onto my back. 

Well, there were better ways then using your body parts, Soph. Like asking.

I finally rolled over when she drove her bony elbow into my side again, causing me to wince as I glared at her. "Stop that."

"Stop groaning."

"Stop being annoying."

"Stop being dramatic and tell me what you need to tell me, I have a curry downstairs that I left in your dads hands and I'm not liking what the outcome might be."

"Stop rushing me."

"Stop saying stop!" Sophie yelled in exasperation, throwing her hands up wildly. "If I hear that word come from your mouth one more time-"

"Okay, okay, sorry." I mumbled, sitting up so my back was against my pillows and head board. "So I went to Flynn's today." 

"Go on," Sophie schooled, like the real Dr. Phil. All she needed was a bald cap and a goatee. 

"We talked about what happened with Spencer and stuff, and he told me that he hadn't been expecting her at all, and that they'd dated for eight months back in their old town, but they both called it off because they were more like friends to each other. He hadn't heard from her pretty much since he moved here." 

"So you sorted out the ex-girlfriend dilemma, but something tells me that wasn't why you dragged me up here." Sophie's eyes started to get that light in them when she caught onto something. It was a light I dreaded, because normally, we either got into trouble with it, or she would suddenly do something I'd regret.