Chapter Eighteen | Just Like The Movies

"So are you going to be like one of those guys who doesn't tell me where we're going until we get there? Because just so you know, I hate surprises." I stated as calmly as I could as I strapped myself into the passenger side of Flynn's car. His big body shook because mine in silent laughter as he clicked his own seat belt in, leaning forward to turn the keys in the ignition.

"I'm not surprised you hate surprises." He chuckled as the car came to life, the vibrating helping me relax into my seat a bit more. 

I had to stop freaking out over this. Pretend it was like any other time I'd spent time with Flynn. 

Well, that was all good in theory, wasn't it?

But when he leant over, like he was doing right this second, my theory was shot to shit. 

"You look beautiful." He whispered, stealing my breath and quickening my heart beat. Flynn had said that once before, but the effect of those words just got greater each time he spoke them. Like the last time was just me dreaming him saying the words and when I heard them, I was shocked to find out I was actually awake, not in a slumbering state.

"You do too." I murmured, then blushed slightly once I'd realised what I'd say. His mouth was starting to form a smirk, so I hastily tried to cover my tracks. "I mean, you look....good tonight. Yeah." 

"You called me beautiful."

I rolled my eyes, trying to make the blush disappear from my cheeks. So that wasn't the smoothest move Micheals, pull it together. 

"Don't let it go to your head or anything, I call all of my dates beautiful." I muttered, looking out the window. 

The car revved a little harder out of my driveway, and I bit my lip to stop the laugh from coming out of my mouth. 

"You never told me where we were going." I commented casually once we'd been travelling in comfortable silence for a few minutes. Flynn glanced over at me and sent me an easy smile, little shivers of warmth hitting me because, well, have you seen the guy smile?

Whoever invented the word 'melting' didn't know the full context of it.

"Well..." he replied, one hand on the steering wheel, the other on the gear stick, close to my own hands. I itched to touch him, those big, strong hands touching mine. Touching me. "Marley told me this interesting story about how you used to have an insane obsession over cotton candy, and theres this mini carnival just out of town tonight, so I was thinking we could go there." Flynn glanced over at me again, one eyebrow raised, as if waiting for my opinion.

"Sounds great." I sent him an excited grin, which turned into a frown when I remembered the first part of his sentence. "Wait, what cotton candy story?"

Flynn laughed, like, proper chortled, and I knew I was about to feel totally embarrassed. "Oh god, just tell me."

"Apparently you used to love roller coasters."

I groaned. I knew where this was heading.

"This is the one about when I ate so much cotton candy that I puked all over the cute boy in the cart in front of me, isn't it?" 

Flynn nodded, his laughter filling the car. I couldn't even find it in me to be embarrassed because come on, I had been eleven and now I think about it, the boy hadn't been that cute. So I joined in with his laughter. 

"I remember, it was the vacation we took to Santa Monica, and mum and dad had taken Marley and I to the carnival on the boardwalk, and Marley had bet me his hot dog I couldn't eat his, mine and mums cotton candy. So I ate it all, obviously, and then we were getting on the roller coaster and I was so excited, and the boy in front of me starting talking to me and I thought he was really, really cute. I had felt fine right up until the point where the roller coaster stopped, and I just upchucked all over the poor guy. There was so much of it, and it was so pink." I was stilling laughing once I'd finished my story. Flynn had kept laughing with me, his eyes crinkling at the corners a little, a hidden dimple showing up on the right cheek.