Chapter Nine | House Call

She was in so much trouble when I saw her later, I thought to myself as I turned my police cruiser back around and parked close to where Harlow had been sitting in her car, thinking she was hidden from sight. Trying to stalk out the local gang now? Seriously, did she have a secret fetish for trouble, or was Harlow just bold by nature?

I shook my head, my police badge gleaming in the mirror as I opened my door and got out into the cold street. Officer Flynn Morgan, it read, in bold lettering. The dark gold plating holding the lettering was shiny, and I felt like taking the damn thing off as I locked the cruiser and approached the door to the abandoned warehouse the local gang used on occasion.

Harlow flashed through my mind again. What if one of the gang members had seen her? What if they tried to hurt her? A shiver of coldness shot down my spine when I thought of them hurting her, making her feel pain.

I knew what gangs were capable of. They weren't just going to smack her around the face a few times and let her off with a warning.

Which made me anger spike even more at the fact that she'd even had the thought to find and stalk the place at the start.

I mean, it's not like I was her keeper, or owner, but my god, did she have to do something dangerous? It was giving me a headache.

Why do you care so much? That inner voice in me whispered, and I frowned as I banged on the metal front door of the warehouse, waiting for someone to answer hopefully.

I didn't answer that annoying piece of shit in my head, because I didn't know how to. Why did I care so much?

I'd known her for about a week. The first time I'd met her, I had been arresting her. She was sarcastic, snarly at times, full of confidence. Full of a secret that she really, really didn't want to share because she wanted to protect her brother.

I had already found out a little from Stan in passing. Something about an accident, and the aftermath was as messy as shit, but I hadn't pressed it. Even if I was so curious every time I saw Marley I wanted to sit him down in a chair and pull the answers out of him.

Oh yeah, and I found her really fucking beautiful.

Harlow was like one of those people who had beauty from all angles. Her exterior was sexy, and her interior was even hotter. I'd always sort of had a thing for blonde's, and her grey eyes reminded me of those cloudy days where you didn't know if the sun was going to break through, or if it was going to stay overcast for the whole day.

Listen to me, being a total pansy sap.

And her body, my god. All proportioned, perfectly balanced, something I could look at all the time and never get bored.

"Can I help you, fine officer?"

My mind instantly dropped all thought's of Harlow and I turned my eyes up to see one of the younger looking gang members standing in front of me with a stupid smirk on his face and a warning glint in his eye.

I quirked an eyebrow, silently reminding him I had a gun.

"I was just in the area, thought I'd stop by and see what was happening." I said, plastering on a false smile.

He stared blankly at me for a few seconds, like he was trying to figure me out. "So...what's happening?"

"What's it to you, cop?" He said, the welcoming exterior dropping off him faster than I could say 'gullible'. I smiled a little wider.

"Just doing my job..." I trailed off, waiting for his name. The kid hesitated, like he was wondering whether to tell me or not, and finally gave in.