Chapter Nineteen | Definition Of Awkward = My Life

So this was a little bit awkward. 

What was I supposed to do or say right now, when Flynn's ex was staring at him expectantly, I was staring at her in envious confusion, and Flynn was looking anywhere but me.

Maybe say hi? Ask how her meal was the day before? Thank her for the nice tip she left?

I really had no idea. Not even Sophie would have had a rule for this sort of situation. Oh hi, I'm the guy you think you're in love with's ex girlfriend, and I've just moved to town. Oh yeah, I'm also freaking beautiful. You are?

Well hello Flynn's ex girlfriend, I'm the girl he arrested and for some reason has an interest in. I also work at a diner. Yeah. 

Nice.

"What are you doing here?" Flynn asked after at least five seconds of extremely awkward silence. I felt like I was encroaching on a private moment that these two needed to share, because she was obviously expecting something along the lines of a hug, at least. 

"Is that all I get?" She smiled, stepping towards him with her arms outstretched.

So I spoke too soon. Again. 

I do that a lot. Have you noticed? I'm starting to. Maybe I should just back away from this exchange and sneak back into the elevator, because me being here wasn't helping anybody with ridding the air from it's awkward tension.

Flynn released her after about two seconds of hugging, then turned and looked at me with a shocked, but apologetic look on his face.

"Harlow, this is Spencer. My...ah, my ex girlfriend. Spencer, this is Harlow." Flynn glanced over at 'Spencer', who had tilted her head as she looked at me, a friendly smile gracing her face. 

"I know you, you're the girl who served my sister and I at the diner yesterday, right?" 

"Yeah," I said, my voice coming out way smaller than I had been hoping it would. "Nice to meet you." 

She smiled again, this woman was really into flashing her teeth, and grasped my unsuspecting hand in hers. "You too." 

"Wait, Indy's here too?" Flynn asked, genuine warmth in his eyes. Spencer nodded in his direction and I wanted to just vanish on the spot.

"So, do you want to come inside?" Flynn asked hesitantly after a few more seconds, looking at Spencer. I was just about to say no when Flynn grabbed my hand and tugged me towards the door, unlocking it quickly and shoving it open gently with his shoulder. 

I couldn't even admire his apartment because I was starting to freak out a little. 

How do I get out of this situation? I was so not prepared for meeting the ex, even though Flynn wasn't expecting to see her either. I released his hand once we were inside, and he gave me a funny little look before taking off his coat as Spencer did the same. 

"Hey, Spence, not to sound rude or anything, but what are you doing here, exactly?" Flynn asked as he placed his coat down on the side of the couch. Spencer settled right in, taking a seat on the opposite couch as I stood awkwardly and tried to figure out what to do.

This was so not how I thought my night would go. Firstly, I had imagined it to just be me and Flynn. 

Without much clothing on.

In the dark.

Not sitting on his really nice upholstered navy blue couch, facing his stunner of an ex who looked more at home in Flynn's apartment than he did.

"I got a job here, working as a detective. I was going to ring and tell you, but I thought it would be better making it a surprise." Spencer grinned, folding her legs comfortably. "So surprise."