Chapter Three | Door Knockers Are Always the Better Catches

There were two things that jumped out at me just as the sun started setting behind the neighbouring houses and mountains that night.

First, it was Sophie. Literally.

She jumped into my room with such sudden movement, I actually nearly fell off my bed screaming.

The second thing was the reason why I was on my bed in the first place. I was so tired, I'd hit the stage where I'd been stuck on the same page of my book for the past twenty minutes, and I still didn't know what I was reading.

"Your dad told me to tell you to get ready for dinner because Stan's going to be here soon." Sophie recited and I groaned while rubbing my face. It actually felt like too much of an effort to lift my arms up, let alone get up from my comfortable bed.

"Tell him I'm too tired to eat." I mumbled, finally getting up when Sophie threatened to hit me repeatedly with one of my pillows. Looking down at my shorts and singlet, I grabbed my grey knit sweater from my wardrobe and slipped it on, then took off my shorts and yanked on a pair of leggings and black ballet flats, leaving my blond hair out but my fringe keep falling in my face so I quickly French braided it and pinned it back.

Turning to Sophie, who was currently snooping through my iPhone, I rolled my eyes and started to head down the stairs with her behind me. "So how much trouble did you get in?" I asked, and heard her snort behind me.

"A lot more then you." Sophie muttered, and I shook my head. Her mother would do that too, give Sophie the worst punishment when I was the culprit.

Sophie didn't care because she and her mother had been at war since her father left when he found out her mother was sleeping with the pool boy.

And the gardener.

"So the witch is back on her broomstick, then?" I questioned, and she groaned in reply.

"Don't even get me started. When I got home this morning, she tried to lecture me on my choice of boyfriend. Hypocrite." Sophie shook her head angrily and I felt a little sadness towards her.

My mom had been no gem, either. In fact, she was a selfish gold digger who took off the minute things got tough, but at least she wasn't a selfish, cheating, gold digger.

"Have you spoken to Marcus today?"

"Yeah. The conversation went a little like 'I'm sorry, but you're a self conceited asshole who thinks through your penis and I really can't be bothered with your shit anymore'."

I laughed, just glad she'd stopped that relationship before it got too far. I knew she had been dating Marcus just to piss her mother off, because if there was something Ms Weathers hated more than carbohydrates in food and clothes under $300, it was lack of class.

So Sophie went out and dated stoners, or drop outs, anything below her standards, just to get back at her for doing what she did to her father.

"Well I'm proud of you, Soph."

"I'm single again! And it feels great. I might aim for a MacDonald's worker next time. That'll combine both her pet hates. Fatty food and clothes from the Wall Mart sales rack. Maybe I'll get engaged with this one, just for an extra kick in the guts."

I laughed again at Sophie's declaration, reaching the kitchen where dad was clattering around, looking for the cutlery. I walked into the kitchen, pulled open the top drawer, and watched as he grinned at me sheepishly and placed a quick kiss on my forehead.

"What would I do without you?" He chuckled, grabbing a handful of knifes and forks without bothering to count them.

"You'd probably be eating with your fingers."