Chapter Twenty Two | Storm

I'd never quite experienced silence quite so apprehensive before.

It was like a hopeful sort of silence, like whatever was about to be said would only be good things. I didn't ever like to hope too much, because of circumstances like these. Now could you see why I dated people like Mason?

There were never these sort of silences. This was a dangerous quiet.

It had the potential to hurt.

"Where do you want me to start?" Flynn asked with an almost nervous tint to his normally confident voice. I sighed internally in relief. So I wasn't the only one feeling the vibe in this room.

"How about at the beginning?" I asked, glad my voice came out calm and even, when inside I was shitting bricks. To put it mildly, anyway.

I deserved to be nervous, right? Hell, I was still half expecting Spencer to pop out of the kitchen, wearing nothing but one of Flynn's shirts, flipping pancakes.

She would ask me to stay for the food, of course. She was just that nice.

"Alright, that would be a good place." Flynn muttered more to himself, rubbing his hands on the front of his grey sweats quickly before plopping back onto the couch and leaning his elbows on his knees. I hesitantly sat on the other end of the couch, watching him expectantly.

There was that silence again.

That sort of game changer silence.

I opened my mouth to speak, purely to fill the quiet that I was starting to despise, when Flynn finally spoke up.

"Spencer and I have known each other for years. We kind of grew up together, went through school, the police academy, until she decided she wanted to take the detective path. Our first jobs were at the same police station, and we spent a lot of time together in the beginning. Eventually, all those late nights led to more."

I tried to hide the wince that was currently taking over my face, but come on, I was sitting here, listening to the guy I potentially loved tell me about all the 'late nights' him and his ex girlfriend shared.

Someone should buy me a medal, really, for keeping the wince at a minimum.

"We dated for about eight months, but we both called it off a few months before I transferred because it just wasn't working."

I stared at him, biting my tongue to keep from asking why it wasn't working. Were they too much of a power couple? The sex too nice?

"We were always better off friends, and at the back of my mind, I had always known that. Spence did too, so we called it quits and remained friends. But I had no idea she had moved here, or she would turn up like she did. You have to believe me-"

"I believe you." I cut him off, and Flynn shut his jaw as I let out the breath I hadn't realised I had been holding.

Surely that wasn't the whole story, though? I mean, where was the drama of her wanting to win him back? Following him to another city, that sort of thing? You wouldn't just leave your job and town and life without a reason, so I had just assumed it had been for him.

I assume a lot, too.

I should stop that.

"So, did Spencer say why she had moved to town?" I asked gingerly, and Flynn smiled a little as he visibly relaxed. I was still waiting for the punch line, like he would just drop in 'oh, and Harlow? We also had amazing, wild sex last night and we're eloping'.

Flynn nodded, scooting a little closer to me on the couch. It was a minute move, but I still noticed it like a neon sign flashing in a dark room.

"She's wanted a fresh start for a while. Her and Indy, her sister, they've always had family troubles back home. When Stan rung her about the job, she wasn't going to say no. She had acually forgotten I had moved here, specifically." Flynn laughed, shaking his head slightly.

Okay, so now what was I supposed to do? He had explained, and it was, admittedly, way less dramatic than I had been anticipating.

Suddenly, I wanted to laugh. I had worked myself up over the fact that his ex girlfriend wanted to catch up with him, because they were friends.

For someone who used to pride herself on not acting like such a girl, I was doing a lot of girly things lately.

"Are you sure that you two are, you know, just friends?" I asked before I could a. shut my mouth, and b. lose the courage to. Flynn's face scrunched into a frown and he slid right across the sofa until his thigh was tight against mine and his face was very much in my personal space.

"I couldn't be surer. Trust me, Harls, you're the only one I think of as more than a friend these days. The only one."

When he spoke like that, his voice low and sexy and husky, his eyes boring into mine, his body heat seeping into my numb body, I almost gave in completely.

He was close, so damn close, and all I wanted was for him to lean in just that little bit further and put his lips on-

"I should go," I whispered, my cheeks flushing as Flynn's eyes dropped to my lips as I pulled the bottom one in between my front teeth. They stayed there for a few seconds, before that beautiful blue was all I could see again.

I wanted to stay, trust me. Especially with Flynn being all ambinothing under his sweats right now, but I felt like the little talk we'd just had had created a certain sort of trust, and I was scared that if we rushed into something now, that thread of a bond would break-

I squeaked as a huge rumble of thunder filled up Flynn's apartment.

The lights flickered momentarily, and I looked anxiously out the window to notice the sky has darkened considerably and the rain had be became torrential just as a brilliant white-blue flash of lightening flashed right outside.

I'd always had a small fear of storms, I wasn't going to lie, so when Flynn got even closer and his arm fell over the couch back, resting half on me, half on the navy material, I knew he was subtly trying to comfort me as a sliver of fear shot through me because of the next huge rumble outside.

"Maybe you should stay, at least until the storms over." Flynn whispered in my ear, sending hot little shivers down my back.

I just nodded a little, biting my lip as I glanced out the window again. How could I not have noticed the turn in weather? Did Marley make it home before the storm hit? I jumped up, searching for my phone as Flynn frowned at me from his position on the couch.

"What are you doing?" He asked curiously as I searched the wet pockets of my jacket that was hanging over a chair by the fireplace. The rest of my clothes had been thrown in Flynn's washing machine as we'd came out into the lounge, so I came to the quick conclusion that I'd left my phone in my car when I had arrived.

"Looking for my phone to text Marley and see if he got home before the storm hit." I said just before another round of lightening pierced the sky. Flynn stood and flicked on the lights as it got darker and walked over to the dining table, picking up what looked like his own phone before walking over to me.

"Use mine," he grinned, holding the small black device out for me to take. As I reached forward to grab it, our fingers brushed, and I couldn't help the jitteriness I my stomach as we lingered like that for a few more seconds. "I'm going to grab something to eat. You want anything?" Flynn asked when we reluctantly stepped away from each other. I shook my head slowly, sending him a small gin before opening his phone and tapping in Marley'a number.

He picked up on the second ring. "Flynn? Hi," his voice was a little confused on the other end of the line

"Hey, it's me." I said, noticing Flynn had disappeared from the lounge area. "Did you get home safe? The storm just kind of hit suddenly."

"I've been home for about an hour, I'm fine. It doesn't look like letting up anytime soon though. You're not thinking of driving home, are you?"

"I was thinking about it but I'm just going to stay here until it passes."I murmured, glancing up as Flynn walked in with a bag of chips and what looked like two mugs of hot drink.

I could practically see the little smirk Marley would be wearing right now. "Staying over? Well, that talk must have gone better than you thought."

"Shut up, I'll talk to you when I get home." I said but Marley got the last word in before I could hang up on him.

"Just remember, if you want to mix it up, Flynn owns handcuffs-"

I clicked the end call button before Marley could even finish what he was saying.

"He okay?" Flynn's voice was right behind me and a fiery blush exploded on my cheeks as images of 'mixing it up' with Flynn entered my mind.

"Yeah, he's good." I said, my voice gruffer than I was hoping. I turned and sent him a thank you smile, handing his phone back. Flynn took it and tossed it over to the couch before holding out a steaming cup of liquid.

"I know you said no to food, but wanna hot chocolate?"

As soon as the word 'chocolate' came out Flynn's mouth, my nose was attacked with the sweet smell of it.

Flynn must have noticed my reaction, because he grinned and held the cup out, waiting for me to take it. "Thanks,"

"What are we going to do now?" Flynn asked, taking a seat I his really comfortable couch. I sank into it beside him and took a sip of my hot chocolate, a small moan slipping out when the chocolatey sweetness hit my tastebuds.

"Oh my god, this is a good hot chocolate." I said, taking anther gulp and letting the liquid wash down my throat.

When Flynn didn't say anything in reply, I looked up at him and almost blushed. He was watching me intently, with a dark, hooded look in his eye. The intensity of that stare had me gulping down another mouthful in an attempt to distract myself from his sheer presence, but it didn't work very well.

"Let's watch a movie." Flynn said, snapping out of his stare and standing up, walking over to what looked like a very good collection of DVD's. I watched in full fascination as his back muscles curled and rolled under his red shirt, the way his strides were slow and sure, the fabric of his shirt pulling gift over his big shoulders when he bent to pick out a movie.

He turned to look at me just as my eyes flickered away from his figure. "Any requests?"

I just shook my head, because it was starting to spin a little the more I thought about him right now.

He popped in a movie and I didn't even bother looking at the case to see what it was. My eyes weren't moving from him as he made his way over to flick the lights off then back over to the couch, his body settling in beside me, way closer than before.

When I finally looked away from Flynn, my eyes almost burst out of my sockets when the title of the movie showed up on the screen.

"Flynn, really? The Conjuring?" I felt a flash of fear crawl up my stomach whe the music started through Flynn's surround sound, just as more thunder rolled in.

He just grinned at my expression. "Not a fan of horrors?"

I gulped as I shook my head in denial. "They're my favourite."

He spotted my lie almost instantly.

"Don't worry," Flynn whispered into ear as the first scene started. "I'm a cop. I'll protect us."

* * * *

I didn't even remember how it happened.

One minute, I was settled next to Flynn on the couch.

The next, I was completely buried by his body, trapped between the back of the couch and his hard, unyielding back.

"It's nearly finished, you can come out now." Flynn laughed as I buried myself even further between him and the couch.

So I was terrified of horror movies and storms.

And right now I was experiencing both.

"I'm never watching a movie with you again," my voice came out muffled because my mouth was half pressed into his shoulder. "Ever."

Flynn looked over his shoulder, a playful pout on his face, and I glared at him. "Never ever?"

Someone screamed on the movie, making me jump and whine a little as Flynn laughed.

"Not funny."

"You are."

"We'll you're annoying. With a horrible taste in movies."

Flynn's shoulders shook again as he laughed silently and settled back into watching the rest of the movie.

By the time the credits were rolling up the screen, I had gotten myself really comfortable between the crook of his back and the couch. His body heat was seeping through my clothes-well his clothes, and I was actually feeling a little sleepy.

That was until he turned his upper body towards me, his face only inches from mine.

"It's finished," Flynn murmured, noticing the biting of my lip as his eyes case downwards to my lips again before meeting my eyes.

"Thank god." I breathed out, letting his small smirk distract me from the fact that I had probably over stayed my welcome and it was time to leave.

The storm seemed to have gotten calmer too, although every now and again the distant rumble of thunder and occasional flash of lightening lit up the sky again.

"I should probably go now anyway-" Flynn cut me off suddenly.

With his teeth.

I gasped as Flynn latched his teeth to my bottom lip gently, and pulled it out from under my teeth. He worked his jaw back and forth slowly, sending a burst of arousal straight to where it matters most.

"Flynn," I breathed out huskily once he'd let go. His blue eyes, so deep and beautiful and familiar, met mine as a sexy grin made its way onto his face.

"What?"

"I..." I didn't know what to say.

So I did what seemed natural.

Grabbing the nape of his neck with one hand, I pulled his mouth back to mine, relishing in the connection. Flynn turned his body around so he has better access, and then all I could do was hold on.

Flynn's hands were an iron grip on my waist as he ducked his head and sunk his mouth harder against mine, his tongue teasing at the edge of my lips. I parted for him, more than happy when his tongue started to dance with mine. One of his hands moved up my body, gliding over curves as it rested on my neck, the other wrapping around my waist to tug me tighter against him.

I broke the kiss to gasp again as he suddenly lifted me, my legs parting on each side of his thighs as he settled me onto his lap, and that's when I knew I probably wasn't going home anytime soon.

When I pulled away for air, Flynn's eyes were half closed and hooded as he rested the back of his head against the couch, watching me as I played with his hair I had managed to knot my fingers in.

"Are you sure you want to go home?" He whispered, one of his hands running teasingly up my left thigh as I shuddered. "Because you don't have to."

By the time he had finished speaking, my eyes were closed and his lips were attached to my neck as he trailed his lips and tongue from one side to the other, settling on the spot just under my jaw that made me go all wobbly and moan.

I felt the scrape of teeth, and shuddered again. My hands detached themselves from his hair and they gripped his shirt, one sliding under the front and he hissed when my cold hand met his abdomen briefly.

I marveled at the feel of his lean, hard chest and let the other wander over his silky, tanned skin as his head fell back again and he watched me explore him.

It didn't take long for the shirt to come off completely.

Him shirtless made me breathless, and that was just looking at him. Feeling what was under his clothes made me that much more desperate all of a sudden, like the room temperature had amped up and everything was more urgent now.

Flynn must have felt the change to, because his lips were on mine again and his hands had worked their way under my shirt, his thumbs brushing just under my bra.

My heart jump started into another speed entirely, and my legs tightened over his lap and I grinded slowly on him, that itch inside me becoming more and more urgent to scratch.

We moaned in sync when I felt how ready he was for this beneath me, and a rush of warmth pooled in my belly as he rolled his hips upwards and met me halfway.

God, if this I'd what it was like with clothes on then I was in serious trouble-

And then the most cliche thing you could think of happened.

His cell phone rang.

* * * *

Hello everyone! Sorry it's been a whole week, I was away and had no access to the internet, but I'm back now and here's the next chapter! There's a little more happening relationship wise in this one, and it was a little bit of a filler to get the next part of the story rolling.

So I hope you enjoyed!

Comment, vote, let me know what you think :)