Chapter Seventeen | Just Use Protection

"You're going on a date with Flynn Morgan?" Sophie's voice was full of disbelief and excitement as she stood in the doorway to my room, her eyes glued to me in their wide state as I threw clothes out of my closet and onto my bed. 

"Yeah, I don't really know how it happened but-"

"This is so exciting!" Sophie squealed, completely cutting me off from whatever words I was going to say. I rolled my eyes and tried not to grin to show her that I was just as excited as her, but I was starting to fail as my lips stretched out wider without permission. 

I still hadn't let it sink in yet, and maybe that's why I wasn't freaking out. 

Actually, freaking out over dates, no matter who the man was, wasn't in my genes. Why get all stressed about it? Just enjoy the night.

But it was Flynn.

And Flynn meant more to me than a one night date, if I was completely honest. Not that I'd let anyone else know...

"Harlow Micheals are you even listening?" Sophie shouted at me from her position next to my mirror. "no, I didn't think you were. God, girl. Here I am trying to give you date night advice and you're away with the fairies."

I mumbled a sorry as Sophie grabbed my shoulders and forcefully pushed me down onto my mattress. 

"Okay, step one. It's all about the cleavage."

"What?" I shouted, going to stand up but Sophie's iron grip was still on my shoulders, holding me in place. 

"It's true. Too high a neckline, you can guarantee you won't be going on another date with him. Too low? About the same result. Even the cut comes into question sometimes too. What were you planning on wearing-"

"A high necked dress, but not any more." I muttered half sarcastically at Sophie. She sighed and angled her head towards me, then let go of my shoulders and grabbed my keys off my bedside table.

"What are you doing?" I asked suspiciously because one; she had my Honda's car keys, and two; she had a plotting sort of smile on her face. 

I hated that look with a passion.

"I'm going to drive to my house and pick out some outfits for you to choose from since you have absolutely no idea." Sophie said matter of factly, and I scoffed as she flounced out of my room. "See you in twenty!" 

"I hate you! And don't hurt my car!" I shouted at her back as she disappeared through the doorway to my room. Letting out a groan, I fell back onto my bed and closed my eyes.

Where were we even going? Flynn hadn't exactly set a dress code, and everyone knew I hadn't been on a hell of a lot of dates. How was I supposed to know what to wear? He didn't strike me as the dinner and movie sort of guy, either, so we would be doing something a little more adventureous - which I was all up for, as long as it didn't get me sweaty and stinky.

Or, we were just going to the movies and I was completely over-thinking it in that overrated girly sort of way. 

"Just pull up your big girl panties, and go have a shower." I muttered to myself, and sat up. I needed to stop freaking the hell out, seriously, or I'd be a mess for tonight. 

My hand was almost closed around the door knob to open the bathroom door when the handle twisted on it's own and Marley stepped out, a towel around his waist. 

And I noticed two things at around the same time.

One, his ribs looked like a purple, yellow and blue patchwork quilt, and there was two lines of small, cursive writing in black to the side of his ribs, tucked up under his right peck.