Chapter Fifteen | Stranger Beginnings

Just to avoid confusion, this chapter is actually written in Marley's POV until you see these little guys, *, or I put a 'Harlows POV' somewhere in the mix.

Enjoy! :) 

* * * * 

I'd always wondered what it would be like to lie in one of these hospital beds again. The last time I'd been admitted, was the night of the accident. 

My eyes closed by themselves at the mere thought of that night.

Sometimes I wished that the memories would be hazy, like some peoples were after trauma's or tragedies. That way, I could forget, just for a while. Not forever because sometimes the memories were the only things that kept me grounded, but at least long enough sometimes where I could pretend and go back to the old Marley before all this happened. 

But that night had always remained crystal clear to me. Right down to the jolt of the car finally stopping. Right down to the point where they'd loaded Jamie into the ambulance that took her away from the scene.

I still could remember the number plate.

I willed my eyes to open and coughed into the quiet semi darkness of the room. Night was falling outside, and the only light on in this room was the lamp beside my bed. Dad, Stan, Harlow, Flynn and Jag had been gone for about ten minutes now, and I was grateful. 

The day I'd had had drained me emotionally, and I felt too tired to try and hide what I was feeling right now.

What was I feeling right now?

Sighing, my mind flicked to Matt, Jamie's older brother. I hadn't seen him since the funeral. It shocked me when I walked outside to see him leaning up against the building with his two friends. 

What he had said rang through my mind, my eyes snapping shut again. 

"Long time no see, Micheals." 

I stopped in my tracks as my mind processed what I was seeing. Jamie and her brother had always looked similar, their light brown hair, green eyes the most noticable. I'd always got on with Matt, too, even though he was a year older and in a different sort of crowd to me, I'd hung out with him a little bit. 

Now all I saw in his eyes was hatred directed at me. Not the familiar, easy going nature of the protective older brother to Jamie I'd always known. No, now it was just coldness staring back at me.

"Hey, Matt." I said carefully, flicking my eyes to his two friends. I knew them from high school too,  but never really talked to them.

I still wasn't surprised to see the same look in their eyes as Matt's. 

"We haven't seen you around much, which is probably been a good thing." Matt said, pushing off the wall to walk towards me. My left hand tightened around my gym bag, but I made sure nothing else moved. He was here for a reason, there was no doubt about that. Matt wouldn't just seek me out after a whole year just for a catch up.

"You're quiet, got nothng to say?" Matt tilted his head to the side, but I kept my mouth shut. Something told me nothing I would say would make this unpleasant exchange better, so I settled for not saying anything at all. "That's okay, I'll do the talking."

Matt's mouth morphed into some sort of sick smile as he stepped closer and closer to me. "So I saw Samson the other day, caught up with him. I hadn't seen him in a while, and we talked for a while. It made me realise how much Samson was missing his girlfriend, my sister."