The Spirit Crushes

Whispers were heard and thrown all around the hallways as I strolled down it. I couldn't help but felt self-conscious with so many pairs of eyes on me. I know, I said that I couldn't wait for today but who was I kidding. I'm definitely scared out of my wits right now. Was it because of the way I'm dressed? I mean, didn't they ever see a girl wearing a pair of light blue faded jeans, a yellow plain top and a white cardigan with converse? I'm not dressed that horribly. Or it's because of my hair? But my hair looks the same as it did every other day. Finally it occurred to me: my hand was laced together with Riley's.

"You okay?" Riley whispered into my ears, looking at my worried face.

"Yeah. I was just thinking about something." I gave him a small nod to prove that I was alright -- which I was far from being.

"I'll see you in class. I need to go grab my things from the locker." Riley pecked my cheek before strutting over to his locker.

"Okay girl, spill." Summer smiled mischievously at me, wanting to hear all about my latest love life that she had no idea about.

"Spill what?" I placed my books into my lockers, not wanting to make any eye contact with Summer or the others.

"About you and Riley, silly," Faith answered, shaking her head with a snicker.

"Oh nothing," I answered, nonchalantly.

"Lies. We all saw what Riley and you were doing just now. We're not idiots when it comes to love, Sab. Are you guys together?" Amber shrieked in delight.

"Who told you that?" My eyes widened in horror. I mean, holding hands and giving a peck on my cheeks didn't equate to us being together right? We could just be very close friends. Yeah right. Or did the news about us getting together spread around that quickly? You'd be surprise at how fast things spread in our school with the gossip queen always digging out for new information.

"It doesn't take a complete genius to figure it out. You guys have been acting so damn chummy together in class. Remember I'm in some of your classes?" Amber rolled her eyes with a humorous smile. I breathed a sigh of relief before shrugging.

"Why didn't you tell us about this?" Amber, Faith and Summer questioned in unison, blocking my way of leaving. I was this close!

"I wanted you guys to find out yourselves," I gave them an apologetic smile, "I didn't tell anyone about this unless they came and ask me about it. Now, will you excuse me. I'm about to be late for first period and I don't think I would like to get a detention."

"I just don't think that you two can last." Sarah gave a serious look that slowly crushed my spirits. I frowned as I stared at her face hoping to see any signs of amusement to let me know that she was only kidding but all I got from her was a straight and serious look. Well, thanks for crushing my spirits, bitch.

"What makes you think that way?" I tried to keep a 'I'm not trying to kill you' face but it was way tougher than it seemed. I mean, which human being in this world would say something like that to someone who just got into a relationship three days ago? Fucking three days ago. You didn't see me going around crushing my friends' spirits when they just got into a relationship. If that wasn't mean, I'd got no idea what was.

"Well, you know how he is. I don't know. I just really prefer Liam over him. I think Liam's better for you than Riley." Sarah continued keeping a straight face, crushing my spirits. Bitch, I'll tell you what's good for me. Maybe a kick in your stomach or something or maybe NOT crushing my spirits. And shouldn't I be the one who decided who's better for me? I'm pretty sure I was capable of making my own choices.