Chapter 23

*several months later*

Miranda's pov

It's hard seeing dad perform and me not being able to. I was watching his concert on TV. I couldn't go with Brittany and Sierra because I had to lay low til people forgot about me. The house is so lonely. I wanna be there. I sob into my knees.

Jason's pov

Ugh it's taking a lot longer for people to forget about her. It's hard having her sit at home. She must be miserable. I finish my set and we hurry home. As I worried she was upset. I hate this. "How much longer?" I sit down beside her. "I don't know sweetheart." I say, hugging her. Sierra and Brittany give us some alone time. "I know we can't sing together on the road anymore but what about here at home?" I ask, forcing a smile. She stares at her shoes. "What about that hun?" She sighs. "I guess so." She gets her guitar. She starts to sing an Alabama hit and I strum along. "Back to the country where I feel at home, back to the country I've been gone too long, take me on back take me on back to the country." She sang this onstage with them. I wish she could come back onstage with me.

*a few days later*

Miranda's pov

I get to school with my hair dyed blonde and my name changed. Sierra looks worried. "This'll never work." She mumbles. I shrug and head to class. Dad texts me.

J: how's it going?

M: so far so good. In class. I'll message you more at lunch.

J: ok sweety. Love you.

M: love you too.

I finish my work and keep my head low. Then someone behind me taps my shoulder and hands me a flyer. I stare at it surprised. A high school party. I bite my lip. I wonder if dad will let me go. I get home after school and show him the flyer and he bites his lip just like I did.

Jason's pov

I don't wanna tell her no but I'm worried she'll get recognized. "Lemme talk to Britt and then we'll make a decision."

*later*

Brittany gets out of the shower and I tell her about the party. "I think it would be good for her!" She says. "You're not worried about people putting two and two together?" "It'll be fine. She's gotta have the high school experiences like this." I nervously stare at the flyer. "Alright." I say, smiling. She hugs me. "I'll tell her tomorrow."

*the next day*

Miranda's pov

I was eating cereal when dad comes in the room. Sierra and I exchange looks. "So can I go?" I ask, worried. "After much discussion and lots of thinkin', you can go." "YES!" I gasp, jumping in the air. "On one condition." Uh oh. "If someone recognizes you as yourself.... You know instead of Allie, (The fake name) you call me right away." "I promise daddy!" I gasp then run upstairs to pick out an outfit.

*hours later*

I'm about to go to the party. I hug dad and Brittany. "Thanks so much guys." "Be careful honey." He says. I nod and get in dad's jeep that he's letting me borrow for tonight. I get to the party and lock it up. I smile excitedly and walk into the party.

*a few hours later*

I was laughing and hanging out with some girls from my school. "Hey girl, how about you play seven minutes in heaven with any boy here?" Instantly I stop laughing, nervously. "I uh I don't know." I say, shaking my head. "Aw come on Allie! Don't be such a good girl!" I gasp. I sigh. "Ok I'll pick...... Him!" Justin Moore. A boy I've liked since I first moved here but I was too scared to make a move. One of the girls push me into a closet, seconds later, the door reopens and we're both plunged into darkness. Silence ensues for several seconds. Then I feel a hand on my arm. "So uh ya wanna do this?" He asks, making me swoon. "Y-Yeah." I whisper. A soft kiss is planted on my lips. My eyes go wide, then instantly flutter closed. He backs up and leans against the wall, me in his arms. We were making out for a while before he asks who I am. "My name's Allie." I whisper. "Oh the new girl." I can hear the smirk in his voice. His hand crawls under my shirt. I giggle and the lights flash on. The door opens. We pull apart almost instantly. "Seven minutes is up." Justin smiles. "I had a good time, Allie." He says, kissing me again. Then he leaves and disappears into the crowd. The girls squeal and laugh but I feel a warm feeling in my chest. I wanna be in Justin's arms again.

*later*

Jason's pov

Miranda gets home from the party. That dazed lovey look in her eyes. Uh...... "How was..... The party?" I ask, slowly. I turn the TV off as she sits down. "It was great! I had so much fun!" She gasps. "No one recognized you?" "Nope! Thanks for letting me go." I smile and hug her. "Of course hun. I'm glad you had fun." She goes up to bed.

Miranda's pov

I fall asleep with thoughts of Justin all night.