Chapter 4

Miranda's pov

Jason's sister Kasi is taking me clothes shopping. "You're gonna have so much fun with Jason. He's a great guy." "I've looked up to him for years." I mumble, nervously fiddling with the hem of my merch shirt. "What's your size sweety?" Oh um. I glance at the tag. "Small." She's always got a beaming smile. But pretty soon we'll be facing off against my parents. I'm just so beyond terrified. Kasi hands me a few shirts to try on so I do. My hands are fumbling and shaking.

Jason's pov

I hope everything is going alright at the store. I was waiting at the police station for her parents. I glance up when I hear the door open. "Our daughter went missing." Hm I wonder if that's them. Pretending to be all scared for her. It won't work. I already told the cops what she told me. I stand up to confront them. "Don't even try. I've already told them everything." The dad turns around. I recognize his voice from the phone. "You took her!" "No she came to me. You've been abusing her!" "You have no proof." He growls in my face. I shove him back and smile. "No proof huh?" I take out my phone and play the recording I have of him talking to me over the phone. "Where is she?" "You'll never find her."

Miranda's pov

Kasi's smile seems to have vanished as we drive somewhere. "Where are we going?" I ask, having a bad feeling in my gut. "Jason wants to see you in your new pretty clothes." I smile. I can't wait to see him again. He's one of the nicest people I've ever met. Jason was standing at the door to the police station where we park! "W-Why are we at the police station?" He walks over as I open the door. "What's going on?" I gasp, my voice shaking. "It's okay, sweetheart just follow me." I trust him. But where are we going? What's going on? I stare up at him as we walk.

Jason's pov

She catches me by surprise when she grabs my hand. I quickly recover though and smile down at her. "You're gonna be just fine, hun." "I trust you." She says, finally looking up from her shoes. We walk in the police station.

Miranda's pov

My eyes go wide seeing mom and dad!! I try to run but Jason holds tight. "Lemme go! I can't! They can't-" "And they won't. Relax." He says gently. "He has no rights. She's our daughter." Dad says. "Who has run away countless times due to you both abusing her." Jason says, staring intently at my dad. "Stay behind me darlin'." He says, pulling me behind him. My dad shooting glares at me. "She's old enough to choose who she wants to live with. So hun, who do you choose?" The officer says. "But she can't even choose him! He's not in anyway associated with our family!" My mom says, pointing at Jason, who grits his teeth in anger. "I don't care. She's sixteen. Come on out hun." The cop says. I'm so scared. Jason still holds my hand and walks with me to the middle of the room then he backs up. "Don't go." I whisper, reaching a shaking hand towards him. "Miss." The cop says. I glance at my parents who give me devil glares meaning do what we say or you'll regret it. "Stop that." The cop says, glaring at them. I take a deep breath. "Who do you want to live with?" I point at Jason instantly. The cop smiles. "Custody of the girl goes to Mr. Aldean and all parental rights are terminated." He says, making my eyes go wide! "Really? It was that easy!" The cop laughs. "Yep. Come on honey. Let's go home." I'm so glad. I'm about to run to him when my dad grabs my hair and yanks me back. "You made a mistake. Your little savior is gonna wish he was dead by the time I get through with him!" He hisses in my ear. "Let her go!" Jason yells, raising a gun. I'm shocked at the sight. "I always hit my target. You have five seconds to release MY daughter before I pull the damn trigger!" Whoa. He throws me to the ground. "You're gonna regret this cowboy." My dad growls as Jason helps me to my feet. They both leave and I cling to Jason like a life raft in hurricane waters. He pockets the pistol and holds onto me. "There there hun it's okay. You're safe." We walk up to the desk. "I wanna sign adoption papers for her." My eyes go wide. He bends down on one knee in front of me. "That guy isn't your dad anymore. I am." He says. I wipe the tears from my eyes and hug him. "I love you sweetheart." He says, making more tears fall from my eyes. "I love you too dad."