Chapter 14

Jason's pov

My sister Kasi is taking Miranda to get ready and I'm taking Sierra out. We get her hair and nails done. "Hey you look just like a Disney princess!" I gasp, smiling. She does a twirl. "I look great!" She says excitedly. "That you do, sweetheart. Now let's go get some lunch I'm starving." We go to Texas roadhouse for lunch. Sierra is talking about the red carpet and what she'll say. I smile and watch her be adorable. I swat a mosquito off my arm and my eyes go wide. I know what I want to do. I'm gonna get a tattoo with both my girls' names on it and also for Jess. Right on my arm. "Daddy are you even listening?" She asks, putting her hands on her hips. I chuckle. "Of course sweetheart." We finish lunch and get back home just as Kasi and Miranda get home.

*a few hours later*

Me and Kasi were chatting on the couch when I heard talking upstairs. The girls are supposed to be asleep. We have a busy day tomorrow. "I'll be right back." I walk upstairs and hear Sierra whisper, "I miss you mama. You should see my dress." Oh man! I open her door and she stands back up quickly caught off guard. "You okay?" "No! I want mama back! I want her to see me on the red carpet!" I walk over and hug her tight. "She'll see you sweetheart, she will. Even if you can't see her. She's here and watching over us." "I wish mama was back." She whispers, cuddling into my chest. "Me too baby girl. I'd give anything to have her back home with us again." The closet creaks open. I'm shocked to see Jessica's ghost! It doesn't even phaze Sierra! "I told you she was here." She says. "I should've believed you princess." I say, hugging her tight. I stand up, shakily. Jess smiles at me. "You've made me so proud, Jay." She whispers, resting a cold hand on my cheek. "What you're doing.... For that girl.... Giving her a better life..... I've never been more proud." She whispers. "Oh Jess, I miss ya so much. I miss ya more than anything." "You know I'll always be here watching over you." She says, smiling softly. A tear slips from my eye. Sierra wraps her arms around my leg. I pat her head and smile. "But you need to find a motherly figure for the girls. I know you can do it, Jason." "No I can't. You're the only girl for me." "Promise me you'll at least try, Jay. For me and for our girls." I'm caught off guard when she says our girls! My hands are shaking. "I-I promise baby girl." Then she vanishes. I pick my young daughter up and hug her. "I'm so sorry I didn't believe you. I believe you now." "It's okay. I love you daddy!"

*the next day*

Me and Sierra were on the red carpet. She was so excited. Not even thinking about yesterday. But it still burns in my mind. The feeling of her hand on my cheek. The pain and sadness in her eyes. We get to our seat and Miranda is talking to that friend she brought. She's so happy. I am so glad I adopted her and made Jessica proud. Not a day goes by that I don't miss her.

*later*

"And now new artist." The announcer says. I hold my older daughter's hand. She looks up at me shakily. She just got offstage after performing with Alabama. "Miranda Aldean!" Her eyes get huge. "I won daddy! I won!" She says, jumping up and hugging me. "I'm so proud of you baby girl!" She runs onstage. "I want to thank all the fans who voted for me. I'm so shocked but so glad. Thank you all. I wanna thank my dad cause he's done so much for me. He's the dad he didn't have to be. My awesome little sister for helping me work up the courage to play with the legendary Alabama band today. Thank you all so much!" I smile and squeeze Sierra's hand. "Hey dad, I'm glad I have a sister." She says. I smile and hug her. "Me too sweetheart, me too." I then look at the stage at my older daughter who's crying happy tears. I'm one lucky man.