Chapter 5

Jason's pov

The girls get home from school and I walk out of my bedroom prepared to tell Miranda the good news. "Ok darlin' it's official, you're an Aldean now." "I am?" I smile and nod, handing her the adoption papers. "Ya just gotta sign it."

Miranda's pov

I notice my parents' signatures. "They finally gave me up." I say, signing my name. "Actually their rights were terminated. They were pretty pissed." "Cause they won't have their punching bag anymore." He ruffles my hair and takes the papers. "I'm gonna get these filed at the courthouse. When I get back we'll go out for dinner to celebrate. You're in charge sweetheart." He says, patting my head. I love how he calls me sweetheart. He leaves to the courthouse and I go to the couch. He adopted me. This is such an amazing feeling. A feeling of someone wanting me, loving me. I walk into my room and gasp in surprise. A locket. A gold locket that says, 'Love is Eternal' I pick it up, fighting back the tears. I click it open. A picture of Jason and Sierra. And a picture of me on the other side. I clasp it around myself and look in the mirror, putting my hair up to see it better. This is beautiful. "He'll never love you like he loves me. I'm his real daughter!" I turn around to Sierra. She has the most vicious glare. "Yes he will. He loves me!" I gasp, trying not to get upset. She smiles, knowing I am. "No you'll just be the girl who got lucky. He doesn't want you! He's just got too much of a conscience!"

Jason's pov

"Girls?" "He'll never love you like he loves me!" Oh crap! "Shut up! Yes he does!" I quickly run to her room where I hear the argument. Miranda's crying, one hand gripped tight to the locket. "Sierra stop!" I gasp. She turns around caught off guard. "It's true! She'll never be my sister! And she'll never be your daughter!" My eyes go wide. "That ain't true. She is my daughter! Go to your room."

Miranda's pov

I sit back down on the bed, tears soaking my face. "She hates me! Just like my parents!" Dad sits beside me. "They aren't your parents not anymore." He says, hugging me. "And she'll come around. And even if she doesn't, it doesn't matter. You're my daughter and nothing will change that." I wipe the tears from my eyes. "Thanks for the locket. I love it." "You're welcome."

*the next day*

Miranda's pov

I get my books out of my locker when I feel a tug on my locket. I turn around to a boy with blonde hair and scruff. "Can I help you?" I ask, shutting my locker door. "Did it hurt?" He asks, confusing me. "Huh?" "When you fell from heaven you angel?" Okay? "Um.... I'm sorry I'm not looking for a relationship." I say. "Oh come on baby, you'll love what you get." He says, holding me against the lockers. I was about to scream but he covers my mouth.

Sierra's pov

This whole week has sucked. I don't like her. I don't want a sister! I turn the corner and am surprised to see a dumb gangboy making moves on her. I stay at the corner and watch. "I don't want to let me go!" Oh crud. I should help her! Those guys are nuts. Even though I don't like her.

Miranda's pov

He inches his hand toward my pants. "Get your hands off me!" I gasp, grabbing it but he's too strong and forces his way in my pants. "Hey jerk get away from my sister!" I hear Sierra yell. My eyes go wide. He turns around. "Aww what's a cute little girl like you doing here?" Uh oh. She clenches her fists. "Little girl?" She kicks him in the nuts and he falls to his knees. I get away from him and stare at Sierra shocked. "W-Why'd you help me? I thought you hated me." She crosses her arms. "I do. But daddy would be pretty disappointed in me if I let that happen to my new sister." Tears fill my eyes. "I-I'm your sister?" She smiles and hugs me. "You're an Aldean now aren't ya?" I smile. "I guess so." She hugs me. "You are." "Thanks."

Jason's pov

The girls get home from school and they're talking and laughing! "Wow girls you seem to be best friends now." They both look at each other and laugh hysterically. "Um..... Did I miss something here?" "Oh it was amazing! Sierra saved me from some freak perv trying to get his hand in my pants. She kicked him right between the legs." "Yeah like this!" Sierra shouts, kicking her leg back. I take a step back. "Yeah I get it. Ya don't need to show me!" I gasp, blocking myself. They both laugh again and highfive. "Told ya he'd fall for it." "You trickster." I say, chuckling. I sit back down. "So no more squabbling?" "Nope. Hey daddy can we share a room?" Sierra asks, making me take a double take. "Wow didn't see that coming. Sure I'll get Luke to help me move furniture tomorrow." They both hug me and go upstairs. Well I think my girls are finally getting along. I'm very glad they worked it out themselves.

Miranda's pov

*in her dream*

Daddy was pushing me on a tire swing while Sierra was playing in the tree house. Uncle Luke drives up. I jump off the swing and dad catches me since I was about to trip. "Uncle Luke!" I call. He laughs and walks in the backyard. He's been on tour so I haven't been able to see my favorite uncle. He hugs me. Another car pulls up. One I recognize well.

Jason's pov

I'm awoken when I hear a scream. I quickly run to Miranda's room. She was having a nightmare! "Sweetheart wake up, it's just a dream!" I gasp, sitting her up. "What!" She gasps opening her eyes. "It was only a dream honey." I say, hugging her tight. She cries on my shoulder. It was probably a dream about her parents. "They're back! They're back!" She screeches panicked. "No they're not back. They aren't gonna get you." "Daddy? What's wrong?" It was Sierra. "It's alright. She just had a nightmare." She regains her senses. "O-Oh. I-I'm sorry. I d-didn't mean to wake y'all." "It's alright. You okay?" "Y-Yeah."

Miranda's pov

Dad leaves and Sierra sits beside me, my nightmare still vivid. "It was about your parents, wasn't it?" She whispers. I shakily nod. "They c-came back and kidnapped me... The box.... I d-died in the box."

Jason's pov

Oh man. I wish she didn't have that nightmare. "Don't worry sis, they'll never get you. Daddy'll kick their butts." Sierra says. I smile. "Damn right about that." I whisper, listening to the two. I'm sure glad they're getting along. "Thanks Sierra. I don't know what I'd do without you and your dad." "Me and our dad." She replied. Yeah I totally raised that girl right.