Chapter 18

Miranda's pov

We all went to the park for some rest and relaxation before me and dad's new tour. I'm excited. We'll be a father daughter duo! "Hey Miranda, what are you gonna sing with dad on the tour?" Sierra asks while I push her in the swing. I shrug. "I don't know. I haven't decided." She smiles and jumps out. I laugh and help her up when she lands on her butt. "Whatever you sing, it'll be great."

Jason's pov

The girls hug. I'm so glad they've gotten so close. Brittany was fanning herself with my hat. The wind suddenly picked up, makug her hair blow in her face. I laugh. She puts it in a ponytail. "Oh you hush, Mr. Short hair." She says, swatting my arm. "Ya know it's hard to believe, they used to hate each other." I say, smiling. Wait.... Who is that guy walking over to them?

Miranda's pov

"Hey, you like ice cream right?" The stranger asks. I pull Sierra behind me. "Who are you?" I ask, suspiciously. "I uh I'm a friend of your dad's." He says. Fat chance. "Miranda, I'm scared." Sierra whispers. "Don't be sweety, I'm just gonna get ya some ice cream. Here come with me." "No. Go away!" She gasps. I take a step back, taking Sierra with me. "My daddy will kick your butt so go away!" I shout. "Hey! Get away from my daughters!" I hear dad yell. I look over at the park bench they were sitting on. "Obviously my dad doesn't know you." I say, angrily. He walks over. "Get behind me girls." We do as he says and Brittany puts his cowboy hat on his head. "Who are you and what do you want?" "Nothing. I promise." "Yeah, well real funny when some guy we don't know is talkin' to my kids." Dad gripes.

Jason's pov

Obviously it was some freak kidnapper. Thank God my girls were smart enough not to go with him. "Ok listen here. I have a message from....." He looks around. "Michael." Mike? My producer? "Mike who?" I ask, suspiciously. He glares hard at Miranda. Oh shit. Her dad. Instantly rage floods my system. I grab his shirt and back him up against a tree. "You got a message from him, huh?" He nods. "Well I got a message for him too. Tell him if he or any of his goons tries to take my girls again, he'll end up in an early grave. And that ain't a threat it's a promise. Make sure it gets back to the receiver." I growl, furiously. I let him go and he falls to the ground at my feet. "Come near my daughters again, I will kill you. Got it?" He nods, looking terrified. I smile and walk back to my family. "Come on girls, let's go home." We go to my truck. "Daddy who was that guy?" Sierra asks. "He said he knew you." A lot of people know me. That doesn't mean I know them. "You did good today girls. Don't ever go with someone unless YOU know them personally. It doesn't matter what they say about knowing me or nothin'. He was some psycho kidnapper probably." Brittany glances at me worried. I look at the girls in the rearview. They're both scared. Dammit. Can't even go to the park without something bad happening. "Don't you worry girls. Nothing is gonna happen to you." We get back home. "I'm gonna start on dinner." Brittany says, setting her purse down. She hugs me and the girls then goes to the kitchen. That guy at the park has her shaken up. "You alright?" I ask Miranda and Sierra. They both nod. "You did the right thing today, girls. Never and I mean never go with someone you don't know well." They both nod again. "I love you both more than anything in the world." I say, hugging them both. "We love you too dad." I go to the kitchen after that. "You okay, baby?" She nods. "It seemed what happened at the park really shook you up." "I don't wanna talk about it." Ok? That's weird. "Ok but I do have to ask..... When we first met.... You said something about not doing long term relationships..... I'm not sure what that means for us." She turns around, really tense. "It doesn't mean anything. Can you just stop talking?!" Whoa! "Hun, what's wrong?" I gasp, caught off guard. "What part of I don't wanna talk about it do you not understand!?" She stabs the knife into the cutting board. I'm not sure what's going on! "Baby calm down, look I'll make dinner you go relax. We don't have to talk about nothin' you don't wanna talk about." She leaves the kitchen and I get working on dinner. Miranda walks in the kitchen. "Is Brittany okay? She seemed mad." "I don't know. She got really tense. I gotta talk to her later." I mumble, biting my lip worriedly. "Need help cooking?" I smile. "Sure darlin'." "Cooking is one of my favorite things to do. Other than singing of course." "Oh really?" She nods and cuts up vegetables while I work on the meat. "Obviously before I didn't do it much but now I do it just about everyday. It's so much fun." Before? Before she came here with me. Her other parents. Those fuckers. I set my knife down. "Daddy, you okay?" "Y-Yeah.... Just the last few days have me stressed." I close my eyes, remembering that horrible dream about Luke. Thank God we didn't race. I feel her arms wrap around me. I lower my hand from my eyes. "Darlin' you and Sierra are the lights of my life. I don't know what I'd do if something-" But I can't bring myself to say it. What almost happened today. I shakily get back to cooking with my daughter.