Chapter 31- Goodbye, Maybe?

Someone should yell at me. Go ahead. I know I didn't update on Sunday and I hated it!! But school comes first and I was already up til midnight doing homework, I simply didn't have time to finish this and I apologize! BUT....I hope this chapter is worth it! It kinda made me cry....kinda. Ok, go read before I give away everything that happens!!

Let me know what you think!!!! Please vote :) It would make my day if you commented too! :)

-Hannah :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maria’s POV:

After I walked Evan down to the beach to say goodbye I entered my kitchen searching for something to eat. My mom was sitting at the counter reading another one of her magazines and she looked up at me immediately.

“Mornin’, darling. How was your night last night,” she asked, taking her reading glasses off and folding her hands in front of her as she watched me walk to the fridge.

“Great. The party was amazing too so thank you,” I told her, pouring me a glass of orange juice and grabbing a blueberry muffin.

“Oh that was all your planning…,” she said and I could tell she was trying to figure out how to approach the question of what exactly Evan and I did last night.

“Is there something on your mind mom?” I asked, picking out the blueberries from my muffin and popping them in my mouth.

“Well, if you must know, I saw Evan in your room with you this morning…in your bed,” she admitted, scrutinizing me and how relaxed I seemed.

“I know,” I told her looking up at her shocked face, “Evan was awake,” I explained, “He told me you came in and he didn’t know what to do so he just pretended to still be asleep.”

She laughed slightly, “That boy.”

“Mom just ask me what you want to know!” I told her as I got up and threw what was left of my muffin away and placing my glass in the sink.

“Honey did you sleep with Evan?” she asked in a hesitant tone that had a slight worried note to it.

I turned around and leaned my back against the counter. “No, he…we wouldn’t do that. Mom I’m sixteen and he is eighteen. Sex isn’t exactly what our relationship is about.” I told her honestly.

“Oh, good good,” she said, sighing in relief.

“Why?” I questioned, “Why do you sound so relieved?”

“What? No, I…your father and I, you know we adore Evan. He is an amazing guy and you two make each other happy—“

“Mom, where are you going with this?” I asked her ,my voice wavering slightly, afraid of what she was going to say next.

“Maria, I’m not saying this because I want, I’m saying this because I want to protect you,” she said, standing up and walking over to me.

“Saying what mom. What are you talking about?” I yelled, not meaning to be so angry, but at the same time I couldn’t believe she was doing this to me.

“Sweetie,” she said sighing like she didn’t want to say her next sentence but knowing she had to, “After Sean, you were in such a bad place. You weren’t interested in anything, you hardly left your room, you didn’t even see Rachel for weeks! You barely finished your junior year and then bam! You meet Evan and it’s like everything is perfect again. I just don’t want you to be using Evan to get over Sean because you both deserve better. Does Evan even know about Sean?” she asked, eyes concerned and also remorseful, like she wished she hadn’t said all that.