Chapter 2- Unexpected Meeting

Maria’s POV:

The sun was warm on my back as I jogged on the hard packed wet sand just out of reach of the tide. This was my favorite part of summer. You could feel the sun wanting to shine brighter and the ocean wanting to shine blue just for your eyes to see. Even though school had only finished a week ago, I felt like it was 20,000 miles behind me. Right now, it was me and the sand and the sun, running in perfect harmony. The smiles on the little kid’s faces only added to my happiness. I turned to look out on the horizon and- UGH.

I fell to the ground, catching myself with my wrists in the wet sand and looked around confused as to what caused me to fall to the ground. Then I saw what could only be described as one of the hottest guys I have ever seen. He was tan but not too tan like the guys around this town. His hair was messy but not as if he didn’t care, just as if it was natural and supposed to look like that. He had the bluest eyes I have ever seen and they were reflecting back the ocean behind me as he stared at me with a look of surprise on his face. He had one ear bud in like me and the other one dangling down by his waist. I sat there for a few more seconds just in shock as to what just happened.

“Hey.” I uttered the one syllable with a gasp as I was still trying to catch my breath.”

“Hey yourself.” He replied with a grin that pulled up the right side of his mouth to reveal perfectly white teeth. God he was attractive. And also someone I had never seen before. He must me on vacation.

Evan’s POV:

“Here, let me help you up,” I offered, “I’m sorry for running into you. I was too busy looking out into the ocean I guess…” I smiled weakly hoping she would forgive me. She still looked shocked like I had completely surprised her, which I guess I had. Once we were both on our feet again, I still couldn’t believe her beauty. She was wearing running short, which showed off her naturally tan legs. She had on a white tank top that revealed her fit body which proved she was in shape while still maintaining her curves and beauty. I couldn’t stand those girls who work out and starve themselves to stay thin. She was clearly not like that. Her hair was pulled back in a bun that was what most girls would call messy and yet it looked good. She had all of the little short hairs around her face sticking to her cheeks and forehead from the sweat. She looked stunning and yet she was in workout clothes. Her lips moved and then she blushed… that’s when I realized I was staring. “Sorry, did you say something?” I questioned, now blushing myself.

“Yeah… I just said my name is Maria.”

“Oh well, it’s nice to meet you Maria.” I replied as she looked at me expectantly, “I’m Evan.”

She smiled and shook her head as if that was an acceptable name.

“So…are you on vacation or do you live here?” I asked, not sure which answer I preferred.

“I live here. I have my whole life. McClellanville is my home, the only place I have ever known.” She told me smiling like she was proud of her hometown. And who wouldn’t be. I had been here all of 3 hours and I already loved it here. There was something about the atmosphere and the location that made you feel like you were in your own little world.

“Cool, so you could tell me the best places to eat or to sit and watch the sunset and all of that stuff?” I asked with a slight teasing tone even though all of that would be helpful to know.

“I guess I could…but you’re gonna owe me…” She had caught on to my teasing tone.

“And what could I do to make it even Miss Maria?” I asked as I stepped slightly closer to her.

“How about this. I will help you out by showing your lost and confused butt around town as long as you finish my run with me since you so rudely interrupted it to begin with.”

She stated rising on her tip toes to look me straight in the eyes. She was so mischievous in a cute kind of way I wanted to tackle her and bring her down into the rising surf with me. But I couldn’t do that. I had to focus on what she was saying. Run. She wanted me to run with her. Easy enough.

“Deal.” I stated. Smiling at her as she grinned back up at me. And with that we were off going back the direction I had come and continuing in the direction she had been going. This was going to be an awesome day, maybe even an awesome summer if I didn’t screw it up.