Chapter 5- Past Relationships and Working with Your Best Friend

Evan’s POV:

After saying goodbye to Maria I went down to find my brothers. They were enjoying chasing each other all over the beach. Clearly they needed a vacation as much as my dad and I did.

"Hey guys let’s start that game!" I screamed and declared I was it so they better run.

The whole time I was playing with my brothers I couldn't help but keep thinking about Maria. It was strange how much happened today. Who would have thought I would have met one of the nicest girls I've ever met by running into her, literally, on the beach. She was everything I needed after my last girlfriend....which I'm pretty sure my dad was going to want to talk about when I got back.

"Okay you two…that was one of the best games of tag I have ever played…but I think we need to start heading back." I told Tommy and Jack as I tried to catch my breath.

They nodded in agreement with me and we began our walk back. When we got back I saw that my dad was sitting on the back deck, looking at restaurant brochure for all of the local restaurants in town. I remembered that I had overheard Maria and her friend talking about a restaurant called the Lobster Shack. I pointed it out to my dad saying it sounded good.

He read aloud the advertisement which stated "the best lobster you'll find anywhere, or at least in McClellanville". It said a family restaurant with a fun loving atmosphere after that and my dad agreed with me saying it looked good for dinner. I started to walk inside when my dad said:

"Hey son can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Yeah, sure." I replied, going back to sit next to him on the bench. I could tell what he was going to ask me next.

"So this girl-"

I was right. He was going to bring up Ashley and therefore Maria.

"Dad stop okay, I know what you are going to tell me."

"Well what do you think I am going to tell you?" He asked me, clearly realizing I wasn’t going to hear whatever he wanted to say.

"You're going to tell me how I am trying to get over Ashley by using Maria and you know what dad? You are completely right about the getting over her part, but I definitely am not planning on “using” Maria!"

“Now Evan, calm down. I know you are better person than that. I just wanted to tell you that I understand that what happened between you and Ashley is your own business but I really wish you would tell me what happened, that way I could help you.”

“I don’t need any help dad,” I said and sighed, “We disagreed on something and unfortunately it was something major enough for me to break up with her. I didn’t want to but I couldn’t stand to be with her when she felt that way ok? I am fine. Maria has nothing to do with Ashley. She is just someone I ran into and seemed really nice.”

“Evan…I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for this to turn into an argument honest. I just want to remind you that I am here for you if you ever want to talk about it.” He smiled at me. The same reassuring smile I would always look for as a kid when I was upset. That smile meant everything was going to be okay and it always, no matter what, reminded me of my mom. Both of my parents would smile at me in the exact same way when I was little. It was something I cannot really explain, it is only a feeling I get when I see it. That smile meant all was forgiven and the world was not falling down around me.

“Thanks dad. I’m sorry. I know that what happened between me and Ashley is a secret but I would like it to stay that way, at least for now. Okay?”

“Of course. I’m here for you though, never forget that.”

“I know dad. I know.” I smiled at him and got up to go change for dinner. I still had my running shorts and tee on from earlier today.