Chapter 12- Off To Dinner

Evan’s POV:

After hearing Maria cry her eyes out and confess to something that has been haunting her for the past six months, I was angrier than I had been in a long time. This Sean guy had taken such and wonderful girl and abused her trust and his relationship with her. He got drunk and still insisted on driving! Who the hell does that? And then to top it all off, he goes and kills someone, someone they both knew, and leaves the crime scene because he doesn’t want to get caught!

I was torn between staying there and comforting Maria and going to find this Sean dude and beating the crap out of him. But in the end I decided to stay and console Maria. She needed me more than my anger needed to punch someone.

I pulled her against my chest and was rubbing her back and telling her it would be okay for quite awhile before she was able to stop her tears and breathe normally again. I was about to ask if she wanted to get some dinner somewhere when we both heard someone yelling at us from the parking lot. I knew Maria recognized the voice from the way she smiled, so I was guessing it was a friend of hers. I turned around so I could see who it was and saw a guy coming down the slope to the sand to meet us. He looked a little older than both Maria and I, but he had the same hair and eyes as Maria. Maybe they were related? We both stood up and Maria went over to her friend giving him a hug.

“Hey Ryan! What’s up?” Maria asked him as they walked back to where I was standing.

“Not much really. I was looking for you actually,” Ryan told Maria, he looked over at me then and said, “And who would this be?” He asked Maria with a wink. What was the wink about?

“Hey man. I’m Evan Thompson. I’m on vacation here this summer.” I told him shaking his extended hand.

“Ryan Carlson. It’s a pleasure to meet you Evan,” Ryan told me and as he turned towards Maria I heard something along the lines of “Heard all about ya” which earned a slap in the stomach from Maria so maybe I heard right. “Anyway…so dinner? You two want to come? I was thinking about heading over to Pelican’s Point,” Ryan asked Maria and me.

“Sure. Sounds fun. Can you come Evan?” Maria asked me coming over to take my hand. She was practically pleading the way she looked up at me and batted her eyes. You would think I was trying to make a hard decision or something. I mean come on, dinner with the girl I am dying to spend time with? It doesn’t get much better than that.

“Of course. I’ll have to check with my dad though,” I gave her hand a little squeeze and I smiled down at her as I said this.

“Right. Well I need to change clothes and we can head by your house to tell your dad and then we can meet you there Ryan. Sound okay?” Maria asked Ryan.

“Sounds awesome. I’ll see you two there! Oh! And I invited Rachel too! She is most likely going to meet us there after she gets off work!” Ryan yelled to us as he retreated back to the parking lot of the Y.

Maria and I nodded and waved goodbye to him. I turned to her and took her other hand. I needed to ask her something and I figured there wasn’t a better time than the present. “Maria?” I asked first to get her attention. She nodded her head and raised her eyebrow in the yes-what-is-it? face people make. “Maria, I know I told you Saturday that I like you and I do. I know I told you today that I wanted to take you out on a date and I do. And I know I told you a little while ago that I want to be here for you now matter what and I do. So…basically I want to just get the formality out of the way and simply ask you straight up…Maria would you please be my girlfriend?” Her face was instantly lit by a smile and she nodded her head and beamed up at me.

“I would love to be your girlfriend Mr. Evan Thompson.” She told me as she blushed.

“Great! Awesome!” I was speechless but at the same time I wasn’t. I couldn’t believe I was officially with the greatest girl in the world, and at the yet same time, I wanted to scream it out for everyone to hear.