Chapter 14- The Past, Promises, and "Pecks"

Evan’s POV:

As we got to the lighthouse I grabbed Maria’s hand and we walked up to the water’s edge. The night was clear and you could see more stars than I thought were in the sky. The lighthouse lit up the horizon every so often and you could see the moonlight reflecting off of the water. We sat down in the sand and Maria leaned her head on my shoulder. I put my right arm around her shoulders and she brought her knees so they rested against my right leg. We sat like that for a few minutes.

I was thinking about Ryan had to said to me while the girls had gone to the bathroom.

“So Evan…I know you really like her. I can see that. Anybody with eyes could see that. But I want to make sure you have good intentions. Maria is like a little sister to me and I would hate to see her get hurt. Her last boyfriend wasn’t what you would call a healthy relationship. It started off that way and we were all happy for the two of them, but that relationship ate away at her. She started to stop talking to Rach and I slowly and before we knew it, we hardly knew her anymore. Look, I can see you are a good guy…I just need you to promise me you won’t hurt her. At least not intentionally. I know some things you have no control over. I understand that. Just please…promise me you will try and make her as happy as you can.” Ryan implored me. Hearing the concern in his voice reminded me of how bad Sean had hurt Maria. She would have cried for weeks about the car accident and everyone just thought it was about a bad relationship. I knew I would never do something like that to Maria and Ryan needed to know that.

“I promise I won’t intentionally hurt her. Ryan…I feel closer to her than I have ever felt to anyone and I hardly even know her. If I hurt her…I don’t know what I would do with myself. She makes me happier than I ever thought I could be. I know her past relationship wasn’t pretty…she told me about it. And I would never dream of hurting her like he hurt her.” I finished and looked into Ryan’s eyes, begging for him to see how sincere I was.

“Alright. Thanks man. I…I can see she means a lot to you and I wish you two the best. It isn’t every day you feel that strongly about a girl now is it?” Ryan said laughing at the end.

“No, you definitely do not.” I agreed with him laughing as well.

“Good. Now if you ever need anything while you are here, please don’t hesitate to call me. Here let me give you my number.” Ryan told me. We exchanged numbers and I thanked him.

“Ryan…do you and Rachel have something going on?” I asked him, mildly curious, remembering how they had laughed and looked at each other all night long.

“Wow man! I wasn’t expecting that one!” He exclaimed laughing.

“So is that a no?” I asked with a raised eyebrow. He was clearly blushing even though his tan skin hid it well, I could tell.

“Oh I don’t know man. I like her…I mean what guy wouldn’t? She is drop dead gorgeous and is the funniest girl I have ever met! But I don’t know…I don’t want to push things. Being friends is fine with me.” He told me with a slight shake of his head, like he couldn’t believe he had just admitted what he had said.

“Yeah I can see where you are coming from. It’s understandable that you wouldn’t want to ruin your friendship.”

“Just don’t mention it to Maria…she has asked me numerous times if I like her and I have denied it every time.”

“No problem man. Your secret is safe with me.” I told him with a smile.

“Good talk. Good talk. And remember…if you hurt Maria I am coming after you!” Ryan said laughing and yet I knew he was serious.