Chapter 20- Strawberry Pie

(A/N): Hola! So this chapter is a little shorter but I wanted to post it because I am in love with how adorable it is! Evan and Maria....what are you going to do with those two? haha anyway please read and comment and vote etc! I love to hear what you think about the story and what you think might happen!!! Enjoy!

-Hannah :)

Chapter 20:

Maria’s POV:

“Evan where are you from sweetheart?” My aunt Laura asked.

“Southern Wisconsin, ma’am.” Evan told her politely.

“Now where are you planning to go to college?” My grandpa asked him from farther down the table.

“I’m not quite sure yet sir. I was thinking going to into medicine though.” Evan told him.

“Medicine? Ya know my son in law is a doctor…” My grandpa began but then faded off when someone passed him the potatoes.

“Do you play any sports Evan? You know Maria played volleyball.” My uncle Jordan asked Evan.

“Yeah I played basketball and ran track. And she hadn’t mentioned that.” He told him with a smile in my direction. No doubt I would have to show him some pictures later. You know how guys are with girls in spandex.

“Evan, how are you liking McClellanville? Isn’t it such a lovely little town?” My grandma Anne asked him with a smile in my direction. She was the first one to introduce herself to him. She was delighted to meet him just as she had said she would be on Friday when I had had breakfast with her.

“I love it here I really do. It’s a really great town full of great people,” Evan told my grandma with a smile.

“Alright everyone, I think we have all asked Evan enough questions for now. Why don’t you leave him alone for a bit so he can eat,” my mom told everyone as she sat down at the table with the final dish in her hands. Everyone agreed and began to talk about the food before them.

As usual my mom had gone all out for Sunday lunch but today she had really gone all out. My family and I would be eating leftovers for days. I sneaked my left hand under the table and patted Evan on his leg. I know my family could be intimidating but he seemed to be holding up well. He answered everyone’s questions politely and what more could you ask?

He turned and gave me a quick kiss on my cheek and whispered “Thanks,” in my ear. I heard an “Aww come from down the table which must have come from my grandma.

Lunch continued and the conversation switched from topic to topic so fast I could hardly keep up and I knew who and what my family was talking about. To Evan, it must have sounded like a foreign language but he didn’t let it show. He just ate his food and answered any question that was directed his way. I was amazed at how well he could be in a conversation without actually being in it. He would listen so carefully and know just what to say when he needed to. I on the other hand had to say “Pardon?” and sometimes a frank “What?” when someone mentioned my name. He needed to teach me how he did it.

“Maria would you like to come help me with dessert?” my mom asked me as she rose from her spot at the table. I nodded and stood up as well.

“I’ll help out too, Mrs. Mancini,” Evan said and he rose with me.

“Oh you don’t have to Evan. You’re our guest! Sit back down!” my mom told him patting him on the shoulder and pushing him back into his seat.

“If you insist,” Evan said smiling at her. My mom just chuckled and walked into the kitchen mumbling something that sounded like, “that boy and his manners”.