Part 25

Chapter 25

Following Ally and Seb through the woods may not have been the smartest idea Blake had, but he had already begun his little journey, he wouldn’t stop now.  Even as the two smiled at one another with a gooey expression that made him cringe.  People weren’t meant to be that happy.

“Blake!”

He jumped as she called his name out.  Looking over at Ally, she motioned for him to come towards them. Red flushed across his cheeks.  “Zeke asked me to help.”

“I know,” she shrugged as if it didn’t matter before a large smile crossed her face.  “You will be staying here with Korbin.”

“I’m not going with you to take care of Evelyn?”

“No,” she mumbled before running her hand down her belly.  “You have more important things to do.”

“Like what?” he asked, watching her grimace.

She moved her hand around in a dismissive gesture.  “Many important things that I can’t get into at the moment.”

“You’re meddling,” he accused.

“True,” she replied before gasping.  Her hand snapped out to her stomach once more while the other clutched Seb’s arm in a tight grip.

“Are you okay?” Blake asked, taking a step towards her.

She waved him off.  “They kick like I do.  Definitely got that from me.”

Blake let out a laugh, because he knew that was what she attended to happen.  “What did you do, Ally?”

“What do you mean?”

“Alex,” Seb started, “just tell the man so we can leave here.  The sooner we can get rid of Evelyn, the sooner you can return home.”

“You don’t have to mate with Sydney,” Ally blurted before shoving her face into Seb’s chest.

Blake raised an eyebrow at the man, hoping he would explain.  Seb let out a sigh. “Somehow, she got what she wanted.  Isaac is part of us now, which means him and Sydney can be together.  You’re free, man.  Go do whatever it is you want too.”

“Amaya,” Ally whispered, sending him a tiny smile from her shelter.

He glared at her.  “What if it isn’t Amaya that I want.”

“Then choose someone else.  Hell, if you even want to be like Marcus and never mate, have at it.  I’m leaving,” she snapped, turning her back on him and stepping out of the woods.  Standing there, he stared at her back as she walked through the throng of people.  She smiled and hugged, but none lingered too long.  It seemed that no matter how much Ally wanted to blend in, she couldn’t.

“I’m going to go after her.  Take her advice,” Seb said as he began walking away.  “Do what you want.”

He nodded at his King.  Blake didn’t follow the two into the village.  Instead, he stood there at the edge of the woods and stared.  There was something off about this entire thing.  There was something that he was missing, something that he couldn’t see.

“Don’t blame yourself,” someone whispered.  Blake snapped his head in the direction the voice came from, but didn’t see a thing.  “When she dies, don’t blame yourself,” the voice whispered again.  Looking around, he spotted no one.  Taking a deep breath, he smelt only the deer from the forest.  Who was it? 

He stood there, waiting for the voice to speak once more, but nothing happened.  Not a single sound came from the woods.  Shaking his head, he stepped out of the woods and towards the group of people.  As soon as he did, something hit him hard.  It sent him staggering back, but didn’t cause him to fall.  He straightened himself and attempted to take a step forward, but he couldn’t.  Nothing happened.  Panic hit him.  What was happening?  What was going on?  He knew it was magic.  Was it the same person who had controlled Sydney during the fight? 

His foot took a step forward and kept going until he entered the building where he had slept days earlier.  His hand reached down; snagging the knife, he kept strapped to his leg.  It twirled around in an expert manner, one that he didn’t have.  Walking down the line of beds, the knife dug into the mattress.  He finally stopped at one.  Glancing down, he immediately recognized the figure, but still, he couldn’t stop himself as the knife went sailing downwards.

Sydney smiled at the group as they began talking amongst themselves.  Zeke stood their quietly, not uttering a word as his men threw insults at each other.

“Ally should be taken better care of,” Ned shouted.

Barron, who she had come to realize, was the scariest of them all, rolled his eyes.  “You have a school-boy crush.  Everything you say has to do with her safety.”

“Hey,” Adam called out while taking a step towards Barron.  “Ned does not have a crush on Ally.  That’s me,” he said with a large smile.  All the men shook their heads at him, and his smile broadened.  “What?  Pregnant women are hot.”

All conversation stopped as they stared at him.  Something flew at his head, but the man just reached up and caught it.  Looking closer, Sydney realized that the object was a knife.  Adam tossed it back to the silent one while shrugging.  “Can’t get them pregnant if they already are.”

“Okay!” she shouted, feeling slightly uncomfortable with the direction the conversation was heading.  “What do you need me for?”

“It’s simple,” Anthony said.

“We watch you; you stay away from Ally until we know you’re trustworthy,” whispered through her mind.  The voice caused her to shiver, and uncontrollable urge to get closer to it flowed through her before she snapped out of it. 

“What was that?”

“Andrew,” Anthony replied.  “It’s why he doesn’t talk.  His voice has an uncomfortable effect on unmated women.”

“Good to know,” she croaked while taking a step towards Isaac.  At least he was a lion; he didn’t have any weird magic. 

“Who is taking Jones’s place?” Barron asked with a smile that let everyone know that he knew the answer.

Zeke looked over at the man. “Ally said Ned.”

Barron’s smile grew wider.  “Definitely the right choice.” The man’s smile dropped, and his head snapped to his left.  “Something is wrong,” he mumbled.  “There is dark magic around.”

Before she understood what was happening, she was standing alone in the forest with only Isaac.

“Did you understand any of that?” Isaac asked.

She shook her head.  “No, but maybe we should follow them?”

“You’re a guard now, Sydney.  Go protect your queen.”

“Right.  I’m supposed to chase the crazies now, not run from them.” She took a deep breath, gathering all of her courage before sprinting after them.  A familiar scent hit her nose, and she knew the danger would be more convoluted than she had thought.