Part 17

Chapter 17

Sydney watched as Amaya threw Blake across the ring again.  Letting out a tiny giggle, she looked over at Isaac.  “How long do you think it will take him to get all this?”

Isaac let out a chuckle.  “A long while, but we all started off like this.  Plus, Amaya is one of the best fighters I have ever seen.”

Sydney rolled her eyes at him.  “You would love to see Zeke fight then.  That man walks into a room for ten seconds and kills everyone.”

“That’s,” Isaac paused as if he was searching for the right word, “good.”

“Yeah, good, is not the word I would have used.  Scary, frightening, maybe even impressive, but not good.”

“It matters whose side you are on,” Isaac mumbled.  “If you were Ally or Zeke, it would be good.”

“If you were their victims…”

“It would be scary, frightening, and a little impressive.”

“Exactly.”

The both winced as Amaya threw a punch, hitting Blake on the side of the head.  Blake fell to the ground, but bounced back up with a tiny smile.  “You’re hot when you fight,” he said in a low voice, but it still carried to Sydney’s ears.

She snuck a peak over at Isaac who was nodding as if he agreed with Blake.  Reaching out, she smacked him on the back of the head.

“What?” he grumbled while rubbing his skull.  “Can’t I agree with a guy?”

“Yes. No. I don’t know.”

“Make up your mind,” he told her.  The underlining words were unsaid.  He wanted her to make a decision.  He wanted her to choose whether she would attempt to have a relationship with him or give into the alliance.  Every day, the decision became harder.

“I will,” she whispered.  “I promise I will make up my mind before we return.”

She glanced back at Blake, only to see the man frozen in the ring with a large smile on his face.  Blocking the hit flying towards him, he grabbed Amaya’s arm and slammed her to the ground. Instead of gloating, or even saying anything, he jumped out of the ring and ran towards the woods.

Sydney followed him with her eyes, a confused expression clear on her face.  What the hell was he doing?  There was nothing in those woods.  Walking towards the ring, she pulled the rope up and walked towards the woman lying on the ground.  Sydney plopped down beside her.  “He got you that time.”

“He quit thinking about the fact that I was a woman and let instinct take over,” Amaya mumbled.

“Why do you think he is like that?”

Amaya shrugged.  “He has honor.  It may be misplaced, but it is still honor.”

“How is not hitting a female misplaced?” a voice asked.

Looking up at Isaac, Sydney replied, “If a woman was going to cause harm to you or those you love, would you hold back?”

Something flashed in his eyes.  “You already know the answer to that.  I’m going to go see what Blake thought was so interesting.”

“Shit,” Sydney mumbled while jumping to her feet.  “Wait!” she screamed at his fleeting back, but he didn’t stop.  Taking a step towards him, she halted when Amaya grabbed her leg.  “What?” she snarled down at the woman.

Amaya shook her head.  “He needs time.  There are some things that just take time.”

“What do you know emotions too?”

“No,” Amaya said with a smile.  “Thank God.  I only have the one power.  I can force people to shift.”

“Everyone?”

“No, there are some who can fight my power.”

“Have you actually met anyone that can?  Because I am going to admit, I hated when you did that to me.  It felt as if my body was breaking apart.”

Amaya hesitated before nodding. “Zeke, it doesn’t work on Zeke.”

Sydney shot her a surprised look.  “You actually tried it on him?”

Amaya shrugged.  “He taught me to use whatever I can in a fight.  If that means using my power against him, that is what I will do.”

“It doesn’t work though?”

“No, it doesn’t work.  Zeke is too strong.  If he wanted, he could be the leader of the snow leopards.  We all have small leaders who are under the Queen.  Zeke could have been ours, but he chose a different life.”

“One with someone who he thinks of as a sister.  How does that make you feel?”

“I don’t mind it,” Amaya admitted with a large smile.  “I was quite intimidated by the man.  He does not speak and when I can’t smell, hear, or see him, it’s quite frightening.”

“How about Kris, how does she handle it?”

“She wishes he was here, but understands why he left.”

“Why did he leave?”

Amaya opened her mouth before snapping in closed.  Her eyebrows wrinkled in confusion.  “Why is Blake heading back so soon?”

“I don’t know.  Why wouldn’t he be?”

“I assumed he was going for a run in his leopard form.  If that was the case, he shouldn’t be back yet.”

Sydney glanced towards the woods, but did not see anything.  Blake was not emerging from them, neither was Isaac.  “Let’s go find out.”

Hopping to her feet, she waited for Amaya, who jumped to her feet with the grace of her animal form.  The woman walked straight towards the woods, jumping over the rope when she reached it.  Sydney shook her head in amazement.  Amaya may have been blind, but no one would know by watching her.

Following her, Sydney glanced around at the other shifters.  They were all standing still, faces towards the woods.  Whatever was going on, it must have been a leopard thing, because Sydney felt nothing.  Amaya paused in front of her, her body going rigid.  Sydney followed in suit, pausing and keeping her eyes on the trees.

“I cannot believe they are here,” Amaya mumbled.  “We never thought they would show up here.”

“Who?” Sydney asked, but her question was answered for her when a group emerged from the woods.

Two were in their leopard forms while the other was standing in the middle with a blank expression.  Behind the three was Isaac and Blake, both had large smiles on their faces as if they had found the biggest treasure in the world.

“What is she doing her?” Sydney mumbled.

“And why did she bring Zeke with her?”