Part 5

Chapter 5

Sydney glanced up at the two men sitting in front of her.  “Did either of you think about the car we just left behind?”

“Um,” Blake mumbled while Isaac just sent her a smirk in the rearview mirror and answered, “Of course.”

“Well?”

Isaac shrugged.  “Whoevers it is, if they really liked their vehicle, they would find it.”

“Marcus isn’t a very patient guy,” Sydney told them.  From the short period of time that she had known the man, he had been anything but nice.  He had sent her tiny glares and looked at her with suspicion.  She knew why; the man didn’t know what threat she possessed yet.  Who would be the man she would take away from their tight knit group?  None of them knew who it would be, but they didn’t like the idea of losing one of their people.

Sydney knew how that felt; losing people from her pride to others.  It was the way the world worked; they mated and left to have a family.  Some of them didn’t stay away to long while others never came back.  “How long do you think we will be gone?”

Blake turned his body to smile at her teasingly.  “Missing that human boyfriend of yours?  We’ve only been on the road for about six hours.”

She stared to smile back at him, but as the growl from her driver echoed through the car, the smile never made it on her lips.  What was Isaac’s problem?  The man had left her, not the other way around.  It didn’t matter now, she reminded herself.  The two of them would never be together, she was meant for a leopard no a lion.  “Yeah, are you missing you family?”

He sent her a small, sad nod.  “The further I’m away, the less I can feel my watch.”

“What the hell does your watch have to do with this conversation?” Isaac asked with a laugh.

Blake looked over at him with wide eyes, but Sydney just took it in stride.  It was how Isaac was.  He didn’t let anything bother him for too long, and he was always laughing at everything.  He was a man that could find the humor in every situation.

Clearing his throat, Blake answered, “My bond mate, the further apart we are, the harder it is to keep contact with her.”

“Ouch, never will have me one of those,” Isaac said with a nod, “too much trouble.  How do you do it?  Have someone in your mind and not being able to be with them?”

Sydney wanted reach up and smack the man on the back of the head.  Did he have to say the worse thing possible at the worse time possible?  Blake and her had just had this conversation; she didn’t need Isaac bringing it up again.  “I thought I was always in your mind,” she said with a saucy smile, “but you aren’t getting anywhere near me.”

“You only wish that I would let my hands roam,” he said with his signature smirk.

She connected eyes with him.  They swirled in that eerie way shifters eyes turned when they were angry.  The only problem was that Isaac’s eyes always look like that.  It was impossible knowing when the man was angry, or jealous, or any other emotion besides happy.  Sighing, she looked away. There was no hope.  Why did she keep putting herself through this?  Why didn’t she turn her attention on a different man, like Blake?

The leopard had everything a woman could want: looks, position, means, everything but power.  He lacked the power that emitted off the men in her life.  He was just Blake, the nice, comfortable man who would be a girl’s best friend, never a mate.  Her heart went out for him, and she made a promise to herself at that exact moment, she would do anything in her power to make Blake be something other than a friend for a certain girl.  Glancing into those golden eyes, she had to admit to herself that the girl would never be her.

Blake shifted in his seat uncomfortably.  The two may think he was oblivious, or maybe they thought the looks they were shooting each other weren’t as intimate as they were.  Whatever the reason, he wished they would stop.  He felt like he was standing in the middle of a lion and its prey.  Isaac would send Sydney scorching looks through the mirror, and a tiny sigh would come from the back.

Did they even realize they did it?  Did Sydney hear the tiny sighs she was making?  Probably not, Ally had been the same way with Seb.  She smiled at the man with love filled eyes, talked about him whenever she could, and touched him any chance she got.  It was difficult to believe that she had even considered Blake when the woman had been in love with Seb from the beginning.  Now, with three children on the way, their love would just mold and solidify, leaving them stronger than they were before.

He knew his thoughts were soft, maybe even girly, but it was the way he was.  When a person grew up with parents who showed their love for one another as openly as his did, it was hard not to have sappy thoughts.  Blake believed that two people can love each other forever, that they could keep the passion in their lives no matter how old they got.  If it had worked for his parents, it could work for others.

Looking at the two, he knew that this was another one of the couples who would make it through the hard times.  Isaac and Sydney were made for each other, just as Seb and Ally were, just as his parents were when they were alive.  He didn’t have to be a mind reader to understand their predicament.  Isaac was holding back because he felt the resistance in Sydney while she was holding back because of the alliance.

Blake had a solution though.  He would just make it to where Sydney was free to mate who she liked.  If Blake couldn’t find that love for himself, he would make sure someone else got it.  As soon as he got back from his trip, he would do whatever it took.  Even if it was mating with a random lioness of Leo’s choosing.  If it could secure Sydney’s spot in Isaac’s life, Blake would do it.