Part 3

Chapter 3

“Do you even know where we’re going?”

Blake looked over at her. “Yes, I know where we are going.  Would you just shut up, already?”

“Just like a man,” she mumbled. “We’ve been driving in circles for the past ten minutes.  What is it with you people and not wanting to stop to get directions?”

He clenched his teeth together in attempt not to snap at her. The girl caused him to wish he could do something that he had never done before; stuff a gag in her mouth.  It was quite a shame that she didn’t know how to be quiet, because Blake had to admit, she was pretty.  Not in the way that Ally was with her long black hair and olive skin.  No, Sydney was white with that reddish, brown hair.  Nobody could compare the two seeing as they were complete opposites, but Blake’s mind couldn’t help throw the two together.  It seemed that once he met Ally, he compared every girl to her.

Shaking his head, he focused back on the road.  Maybe Sydney was right; maybe he should stop and ask for directions, or he could use the GPS Marcus had stored in his glove department.

“Sydney.”

“Yeah,” she questioned with a yawn.

He didn’t keep his eyes off the road as he began talking, “Can you reach in the glove department and grab the GPS?”

“GPS,” she said in disbelief.  “There has been a GPS in this car the entire time, and you didn’t think to use it.”

“Didn’t think I would need it,” he replied with a shrug.

“Just like a man.” 

He heard her rummaging around, looking for the thing.  Soon, she let out a sigh of relief, telling him that she had found it.  The only problem was that the sigh was followed by a curse.  “Did you forget the charger? Or did you not realize that things needed to be charged?”

Reaching over, he slammed the compartment closed.  “This is Marcus’s car, not mine.  How was I supposed to know that he didn’t have the charger?”

“Just like a man to just assume something.”

Blake snapped; he couldn’t handle it anymore.  Slamming on the breaks, he swerved off the road and flung his seat-belt off.  “What the hell is wrong with you?” he snarled while facing her.

She looked at him with narrowed eyes.  “What do you think is wrong with me?  My life is being ruined because of your people.  You think you can just send me away and think I’ll be happy about that?”

“This has nothing to do with me.”  He said each word slowly hoping that she would catch onto the exact words.

Her eyes narrowed more.  “This has everything to do with you!  Don’t you understand what they are doing?  No, I guess you’re not that smart.  They are trying to hook us up.”

“Hook us up?” he questioned in disgust.  “They want me and you to, to mate?”

“Yeah,” she told him while rolling her eyes.  “You and I together would give them the alliance they need, and I think they want us out of their hair.”

Blake heard the underlining sadness as she whispered the last sentence.  What did that mean?  That she regretted the way she was acting?  Or that she felt like a burden.  Strangely enough, Blake felt compassion for the annoying girl sitting next to him.  “No offense, but I don’t really want to be with you.”

“You think I want that?  I have a life, Blake, a life away from all this mess, away from all the rules and procedures, and I like it.”

He shook his head.  “I don’t.  My life is back in that cabin.  They are my family, the only family I have left.  Don’t you understand how hard it is to leave that behind?  Even if it is for a couple weeks, do you understand what I will be missing?”