Part 15

Chapter 15

A knock sounded on the door, waking him from the best sleep he’d had in long time.  Removing his arm from Amaya, he lifted to his feet and stumbled towards the door.  Light shone through, making him squint at the intrusion.  On the other side, was a glaring Sydney and beside her stood Isaac with a large smile on his face.  Blake just shook his head at the two.  Pulling the door closed behind him, he stepped out to see what they wanted.

“You’ve been in there for two days,” Sydney said with anger in her voice.

Blake blinked at her before turning towards Isaac for confirmation.  Isaac nodded.  “More like one and a half, but you’ve been in that room for a while, man.  Oh, and don’t mind Sydney, she didn’t like the fact that I could only find one bed.”

A knowing smile crossed Blake’s face.  “Seems that they lack in beds around here.”

“Seems so,” Sydney mumbled before scanning his body.  “Do you mind telling me where your clothes are?”

He glanced down and was surprised to see only his boxers.  “I don’t know,” he mumbled before remembering something.  Turning his back to them, he asked, “How does it look?”

He was met with silence, and when he looked over his shoulder, he noticed Sydney’s eyes weren’t on his back, and Isaac’s were glaring at Sydney.  He stood their awkwardly for a moment, before looking towards the other person in the large building.

Kris blushed under his gaze and nodded.  “It’s really nice.”

“He’s talking about his back,” Isaac said with a sigh, “and they say men have dirty minds.”

It finally clicked in Blake’s mind.  Turning back towards them, he looked towards Isaac.  “Well, is my back okay?”

“Yep, there are no scratches whatsoever.”

“Thanks, I’m going to um, go put some clothes on,” he mumbled as more people began to fill the building, all with their eyes on him.  To be honest, it was quit eerie having their light blue eyes on him.

Taking a step back, he bumped into the door.  Without turning, he reached back and fumbled with the doorknob.  It finally twisted, allowing him to escape.  Slamming the door, he let out a sigh of relief, but still jumped when a hand connected with his shoulder.  He immediately tensed, and before he knew what was happening, his body was being slammed to the ground.

Amaya crouched over him with an apologetic smile.  “I’m sorry.  It’s just that shifters usually tense when they are about to pounce.  It’s a reflex.”

“Stupid reflexes,” Blake mumbled while pushing into a sitting position.  “Do all girls have these reflexes?”

Her head tilted towards the side.  “Only if they are fighters, I guess.”

“I’m just starting to get a complex here,” he mumbled.  “You’re not the first girl who has slammed me to the ground, to be honest, it starts getting embarrassing.”

She nodded sympathetically.  “I understand.  Hey, I have an idea.”

“What’s that?” he asked as she walked around the room as if she was searching for something.  Instead of looking at the ground as others would, she kept her hands out and her nose in the air.  Blake looked at her in confusion.  What the hell was she doing?

“We can start training today.  You’ve already wasted a day with sleeping, and you wanted to be home soon, did you not?”

“Yeah,” he assured her.  “I want to be back in less than a week.  Ally needs all the protection she can get, that includes her second in command.”

Amaya turned her head in his direction, and Blake noticed the worried expression on her face.  “Does she need help?  It can be good for her to have a woman around.  I can imagine how bored she must be with Zeke around as company.”

“That’s the second time you’ve talked about him,” Blake told her with a strange ping of jealousy.  “How do you know him?”

“Zeke?  He taught me how to fight, but the man could really use some lessons in communication.  The only thing he did was grunt at me.”

Blake laughed at her disgusted expression.  “He talks to Ally.  To be honest, I think she’s about the only person he talks too unless he is giving orders.”

“I want to meet her,” Amaya said before stopping and bending to the ground. 

Something smacked him in the face.  Reaching up, he realized that she had thrown his clothes at him.  Blake thought about her words before blurting, “You could come with me.”  He watched her movements freeze as if he had shocked her.  Immediately, he began to panic.  “Just to help look over Ally.”

Her shoulders sagged.  “Okay, I can do that, just to help our queen.”

“Yeah,” Blake said while slipping on his clothes, “for Ally.”

“Good.  Glad we have that clear.  Um, I’ll meet you outside in the ring?”

“Sure, that sounds great,” he replied, only to realize that she was no longer in the room.

He walked towards the door, fully clothed, before pausing.  Lying was something that he never enjoyed doing, but that situation required it.  Blake didn’t know what was going on, but he didn’t tell Amaya the truth.  He didn’t want her to come back with him just because of Ally.  He also wanted to find out why he felt drawn to her.  The only problem was that once he found out what that reason was, he planned to get rid of it.  He couldn’t afford a relationship with the snow leopard, not when he was meant to be with a lion.  He had an alliance to form, and he wouldn’t let his feelings get in the way of keeping his people safe.