Part 4

Chapter 4

“Oh, we should definitely stop and get directions from him,” Sydney said while glancing at the male specimen pumping gas at the station they were passing.

Blake let out a laugh.  “Are you sure it’s just directions you want from him?”

“No, way,” she replied.  “I might ask him if he needs a ride too.”

More laughter echoed through the vehicle as Blake spun the wheel.  Grabbing onto the dashboard, she looked at him with wide eyes as he made a U-turn.  He pulled into the gas station and sent her a smile.  “Make yourself useful, go get some directions.”

She narrowed her eyes in suspicion. “You’re just going to let me get out, without handcuffing me to you or something?”

“Yep,” he said with a nod.  “I’m going to run in and grab some snacks, and look through the bags Zeke threw at us.  You do what you have to.”

She reached over to open the door, but her hand touched nothing.  “Blake, come let me out.”

Letting out a sigh, he rolled his eyes at her and hopped out of the car.  A few seconds later, the door was open.  She didn’t wait for him to say anything else as she sauntered over to the man standing at the pump.  Looking back, she waited until Blake wasn’t paying attention to slip her phone out of her pocket.  Names flew by until it finally stopped on Leo.  She bit her lip.  All she would have to do is call her brother, complain, and he would be forced to come get her.  Was that what she really wanted though?

Her finger pressed down on the contact.  Options popped up, call him or send him a message.  Quickly, she pressed message, telling him that he was right in sending her away.  She was, for once, thankful that he had interfered in her life.  Pushing it into her pocket, she put a predatory smile on her face and headed towards the man again.

“Excuse m-” The man turned, letting her get a good look at his face. “Shit,” she mumbled and turned to run.  A hand snapped out and snagged her by the shoulder, effectively stopping her flee.

“Sydney,” the man said with a charming voice, “what are you doing out here?  Does your brother know you’re this far from home?”

“Yes,” she hissed while attempting to pull away from him.  She knew he loved making her feel defenseless, and having her back to him was not something that she enjoyed.  “What are you doing here?  Shouldn’t you be with your sister?”

His grip loosened.  “That was a low blow, even for you,” he whispered as his hand dropped completely.

Mumbling a curse, she turned and faced him.  “I’m sorry; I shouldn’t have said that.”

“We can’t do anything about it now,” he said while waving a hand dismissively.  He didn’t spare her a glance as he reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone.  Flipping it open, he pressed a couple buttons before pushing the device to his ear.  “Hey, it’s me.  Did you know that your sister is heading north?”

Sydney could hear Leo answer on the other side.  “Yes, I was just informed of that fact.”

“Hmm, sounds like a story I may want to hear later.”

Leo laughed.  “If you ever meet the Leopard Queen, you will understand.  Now, tell me what my sister stopped to ask you for.”

He finally looked at her, his gold eyes staring at her.  She knew why his eyes were that color.  It was a tale mothers told their children to keep them from shifting too often, but once she saw his eyes, she knew it wasn’t a just a story.  “Why are you here, Sydney?”