The Games Begin

Lawrence handed each of us an earpiece, and after putting them in our ears, we flicked them on and spoke to each other. After confirming that they worked, we decided that driving would be better to conserve our energy.

Lawrence, Emily, and I hopped into Carson's car while Swift and Daniel hopped into Anthony's.

Before Emily and I crawled into the back seat of Carson's car, I stopped her with a hand on her shoulder. She turned to face me expectantly. I pushed my spare gun into her hands and she looked down at it.

"Just in case," I explained. She nodded and thanked me.

We then loaded into the back of the car. Carson waited for Anthony to pull out so we could follow them.

"Let me see your phone," I said to Emily as I held out my hand expectantly. She pulled it out and handed it to me. I pressed the power button and was met by a lock screen.

Four-

Emily began to tell me the password but I had already used my powers to weasel past it. I shot her a knowing glance before continuing.

I pointed to the screen and explained what I was doing, "I'm creating an app called Electric Eyes," as I said this, a small icon popped up on her home screen. The logo I'd created was a sharpie blue lightning bolt on a black background. I clicked on it and it opened up to darkness, "And when I make it so, you'll be able to see the world through my eyes."

To demonstrate, I closed my eyes and tiny blue lightning bolts crackled momentarily around my temples. When I opened my eyes again, they stopped sparking. I looked at Emily and when she looked at the picture on the screen she gasped. She could now see herself, and as I turned my head to look out the window, passing cars and buildings appeared on her phone.

"That's so cool," she smiled as she looked at me. I nodded and cut off the connection.

"He's taking us downtown," Carson clarified from the front seat as he turned to follow the others down a side street. After a few more minutes of riding in silence, we pulled over and parked.

Stepping out from the vehicle, the six of us congregated in a nearby alley. Anthony drove off with a promise to meet up with us later.

"We're two blocks down," Daniel spoke. Glancing around, I realized I recognized this area.

Smirking, I waved my hand and created a layout of the immediate area in front of us. The edges of the buildings crackled with blue electricity.

Daniel looked at me with a raised eyebrow before continuing on with his speech, "We're here," he pointed to an area, "And this is where we're going. Emily will be stationed over here," he now pointed to the building across the street. "Now, there's no telling what will happen in there. As of right now, the tentative plan is that Lawrence and I will start from the top, Victor will take the middle, and Johanna and Carson will start from the bottom. We look for Heather, but if anything goes wrong, you all need to get yourselves out. Is that understood?"

He was met by a series of nods.

"Okay. Let's head out."

***

Carson, Swift, and I avoided any unnecessary work by walking in the front door. There wasn't a soul in sight. Shrugging, Carson and I moved to the elevator. Swift had already disappeared in a blur up the stairs.

Carson pressed the button that led to the basement, but the elevator just beeped in protest, "I think we need some sort of key or authorizatio-"

I had already sent electricity into the board and the elevator was moving downward.

"That works, too," he said as he leaned back against the wall.

After a few moments of waiting the doors dinged open. We were met with a dimly lit, fairly creepy, concrete hallway. Frowning, I gripped my gun a little tighter and edged my way out. Carson followed me. When we were about to round the corner, I paused before taking another step forward. Carson caught my arm before I could edge around the corner. He pressed his finger against his lips to keep me silent. With a wave of his hand, he conjured an image of some janitor before making him walk around the corner. Shots were fired, the loud noise echoing painfully in the tight space.

"Shit," one of them said as they noticed the man's body, "I thought Blood said he bribed everyone in the building."

"Maybe he was a super without his costume on," another one whispered.

Carson nudged me and grinned. With another flick of his wrist, the body rose into the air and flipped to face the men. The blood of the gunshot wounds disappeared.

Understanding that he was trying to spook them, I added a little flare by flickering the lights.

The men around the corner started swearing both colorfully and profusely as the ghostly janitor descended upon them. More shots were fired and eventually, all that sounded was the faint clicks signaling they were out of ammunition. Smirking I rounded the corner and pulled out my own gun. Each shot was precise and hit its target. I didn't kill them, just wounded them enough so they wouldn't follow us.

Quickly, Carson and I checked each of the rooms, coming up empty each time.

Sighing we headed back to the elevator to do it all over again.

The doors slid closed behind us and Carson thumbed the button. The elevator started to rise.

^

^

^

^

Hey Wattpaddians! Its been a couple days since I updated this one. Who's excited about the rescue mission? Finally, right? Anyway, hope you enjoyed this chapter. More will be coming soon. And hey, we're approaching the end of the book (I think) so we'll see if this will be my first completed Wattpad story! Thanks for reading!