Wake Up Call

"Oh god," I groaned as my consciousness was reinstated. My body still ached, but the graze at my side had been transformed from a raging bull of fire to a dull, stinging throb.

My eyes fluttered open and I panicked when I didn't recognize my surroundings. Then it all came back to me. My muscles relaxed back into the pillows when I realized I was still at Lawrence's, then almost immediately tensed back up when I realized I had never gone home last night.

God, what would I say to my mother?

Morning sleeping beauty!

I jumped as Emily's voice sang through my thoughts.

I responded with an internal groan.

Shall I send in the...what was it you called him...the Human Nightlight?

Yeah, sure.

I didn't have to wait long before I heard footsteps pad down the hallway. There was a quick, soft knock on the door. I let out a weak groan in response.

The door creaked open and Lawrence poked his head in.

"Morning," he whispered, "May I come in?"

I nodded and he stepped through the door before shutting it softly.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like I got kicked by a horse," I responded nonchalantly, "Which is good. Before I felt like I was burning alive."

He cracked a grin, "Burning alive is actually not as horrible as one would think," he came to crouch by the side of the bed. "Can I check your wounds?" he asked as he pointed towards my abdomen.

I nodded and pulled the blankets away from the bandaged area.

My cheeks reddened when I realized that the only thing I was wearing was a sports bra. I was too distracted last night to notice.

My heartbeat quickened as his fingers brushed against my skin, gently pealing back the gauze.

"That's amazing," he breathed as he stared at where the graze had been. His fingers traced the angry white scar that was the only proof it had ever been there. I thanked whatever god might be out there that supers heal faster than the average human, "I didn't know you could do that."

"Well, I don't do it often," I chuckled weakly, "It kind of sucks."

He smiled and nodded in agreement. I continued to scan my exposed abdomen. The bruises had deflated to a weak, shimmering grey, and my ribs were sore, but in their rightful place. I ran my own fingers across them to test the durability.

Satisfied, I tried to sit up. Lawrence automatically moved to undo the wrappings on my elbows. The cloth was splattered with blood, but the scrapes along my arms were no more than small red lines.

The boy glanced at his watch, "My parents should be leaving for work in about twenty minutes."

I nodded and reclined back into the sheets. I groaned as I stared up at the white ceiling, "How long have I been out?"

Lawrence paused for a second, "Well, you slept the whole day yesterday."

My face scrunched as I realized I had to explain to my mom where I had been for not one, but two nights.

"Damn," I breathed, "You got some sort of alibi I could use on my mother?"

He shot me a surprised look, "I'm honestly surprised you don't have one."