The First Lead

"I made smoothies," Lawrence said as he walked into the living room carrying two pink glasses in his hands. He set one in front of me before taking the spot on the couch to my left.

"Thanks," I smiled as I picked it up. After the first sip, I was sold, "This is amazing!"

I was also amazed by his dazzlingly bright smile, "I try."

I smacked his arm in response and he feigned pain. I raised my brow and smirked. Placing my hand on his arm and my other towards a light socket, I teased him, "I could always heal it for you."

"Oh, no. I think I deserve to suffer for that one," he quickly recovered. I smirked triumphantly and turned on my phone.

I was starting to worry about Swift's tardiness. Being a super with superspeed, he was rarely late for anything. But now, he was twenty minutes behind schedule.

Daniel and I had sent him out earlier this morning to see if he could find anything out about my mother. He had readily agreed to help us, and was supposed to meet back here at noon. It was now approaching 12:30 and I wasn't sure what to expect.

Either he had found something, and had to use more time to explore it further, or he had run into some sort of set back.

Either way, I was becoming more anxious with every passing second.

"How long are your parents supposed to be gone?" I asked as I tried to think of other things.

"Well, they left on a business trip to Tokyo last night, so they should be gone for at least another two weeks."

I nodded in response.

Lawrence and I were the only two home right now. Emily was out running some errands and Daniel was out trying to find my mother. I had insisted that I should be out searching too, but Daniel told me I wasn't fully healed just yet.

"Johanna?" Lawrence asked, concern embedded in his tone. I turned my head to meet his eyes, "How are you doing? With all this?"

"I'm fine," I responded, because I didn't really know how to explain what I was feeling.

He gave me a small smile and responded, "No you're not."

I just looked back at him with sad eyes, "I'm fine enough."

"What do you think of Daniel?" he pressed.

I thought for a few moments, "I'm not sure. I feel grateful that he's here right now, and that he's helping to find my mother. But I also feel kind of cheated that he was a part of my mother's secret life. A life she never told me about." I sighed and stared at the blank TV screen, "It makes me wonder how much else she hasn't told me."

Lawrence only reached over and placed his hand on top of mine, giving it a little reassuring squeeze. I smiled and squeezed back.

We sat like that for a while before we finally heard three slow, but powerful knocks at the door. I immediately jumped to my feet, rushing to open it. Expecting to see Swift, I flung open the door. I was greeted by an entirely unexpected sight.

Blue Phantom stood in the doorway, a body hanging limp in his arms. My eyes widened when I realized it really was Swift at the door.

"Shit," I muttered as I stepped aside. Blue walked quickly into the living room and Lawrence immediately made room on the couch. He then disappeared to fetch the medical supplies.

I bent down next to Swift and removed his mask, cautious of the swelling on his left side. His normally swept back hair was now dangling haphazardly in his eyes and I quickly brushed it away, "Hang in there, Victor," I said, "We'll fix you up."