Bonus Chapter 2

Origins of Torch and Swift

_____

Torch

"Max!" I called as my boots trudged through the snow. I whistled a bit, hoping it would catch the dog's attention, "Maximus!"

Where did he go? I followed his tracks to the woods, where I turned back to look at my little sister. She was on the verge of tears.

"Where is he?" she asked, her eyes pooling up with water.

"Don't cry, Emily," I pleaded. Dealing with a crying toddler was not my thing, "Max went into the woods," I pointed for emphasis, "Can you wait by the swings while I go get him?"

She sniffed a little bit, her nose already red from the cold, and gave me a small nod. I watched her walk away before stepping into the line of trees.

"Max!" I called out again, following his trail. I could tell it was starting to get darker, but if I didn't come back with Max, Emily would be devastated.

I shivered a bit as a cool gust of wind flew into my face and pulled my winter jacket tighter around me.

"Max!"

I stopped and spun around in slow circles, surveying the woods in search of the dog. I wanted to turn back, but I couldn't. I was a whole two years older than my sister, after all, and that meant I had to be brave. I had to find Max.

I whistled as loud as I could, hoping he would just hear me and come back. I kept walking.

"Maximus!" I tried again, but it was no use.

I plopped down in the snow and took a break. My jacket was pretty wet, being as I'd been playing with Emily in the snow for the last few hours, and I was now painfully aware of how cold it was getting. My nose was red and runny, and my breaths came out in plumes of steam. My teeth started to chatter as shivers plagued my body.

I needed warmth.

"Max!" I called again, looking around. Where could he have gone?

I pulled off my wet gloves and rubbed my hands together. I blew on them a bit, trying to regain a bit of feeling. I whistled again, calling for the stupid dog, "Max!"

I looked down at my hands. They were so cold. I wished they were warmer.

And then, almost as if by magic, they were. The bitter bite of winter fled from my bones and I felt a comfortable warmth seeping in from all sides. As I kept watching, I noticed my palms growing red in the center. Then they started glowing red and orange like lava.

"What's going on?" I asked under my breath as I pressed my thumb into one palm. What I wasn't expecting was for my hands to catch on fire.

I yelped in surprise and held my hands away from my body, fanning them to try to put out the flame. That's when I realized it didn't hurt. Wasn't fire supposed to hurt?

I stopped, awed by the flames licking my skin, and just stared. Then it dawned on me. I was like a Superhero. Like the Incredibles! I smiled as I turned my hands around, looking at the backs as well.

"Lawrence!" I heard someone shout. I quickly thrust my hands into the snow to put them out. Nobody is supposed to know my secret identity. I have superpowers now, and I had to keep them a secret. I stood and turned to face the voice, "Oh thank god," our baby sitter, Erika, breathed as she stopped running, "Don't run off like that. You scared me to death!"

"I was looking for Max," I tried to defend myself as I picked up my wet gloves, cautious in case my hands decided to blaze up again.

"Max is back in the park with your sister," she pointed back with her thumb.