Missing Pieces

My heart started to pound harder in my chest, smacking against my ribs in a desperate attempt to escape its fleshy confinements. Though, it wasn't excitement that made my heart sputter. No. This was something else. I could feel my face going pale with nerves, palms growing slick with sweat as I battled the newly formed lump in my throat. I was a villain, after all. My name is the one that gets whispered through the streets like wind through the trees. It's my name that rattles my victims to their very core, and before me sits a very powerful and experienced superhero. A superhero that hasn't worn his cape for decades, and henceforth, a hero that is unaware of the current contracts between heroes and villains.

That means that I'm in terrible danger. Or I might be. It's nearly impossible to tell if his acquaintance with my mother is enough to guarantee my safety. After my last rendezvous with an ignorant super, I'm not sure I'm quite so eager to reveal my alter ego.

"You're Blue Phantom?" I managed to croak out the words running rampant through my mind.

He spread his arms wide and collapsed back onto the couch, "The one and only."

"How is my mother involved in all of this?" I tried to stand a little taller, determined to look more in control of my emotions than I actually was.

Daniel's expression changed. He sighed and buried his face in his hands. A few moments later, he found the words to speak, "So, obviously Blood Lust is my enemy. He has been ever since he became a villain back in '87. Ever since then, he's been intent on finding out my secret identity and wreaking havoc on my life," he sighed again and met my eyes, "As of today, there are four people that know my secret identity." He adjusted his position a little and glanced at each of us.

Lawrence cleared his throat, "Why did you disappear?"

"Well," Daniel was noticeably cautious with his answers, as though he was preparing to step through a minefield, "I knew that if Blood Lust ever found out that your mother knew my identity, she'd be in terrible danger. To keep her safe, I stopped being a superhero," he cleared his throat and lowered his gaze, "He can't play the game with only one player, right?"

My eyes never left his face, scrutinizing every nervous muscle spasm and anxious twitch that plagued him. It made me feel better to know he was uncomfortable too.

"Why now?" I asked.

His eyes shot to mine again. For a moment, I thought I saw a flash of something in his eyes. Some emotion I couldn't quite detect. But he didn't hold my gaze for long before he shrugged and stared distantly at the wall, "He's a psychopath. Psychopaths get bored," he shifted so that his elbows pressed into his knees, hands clasped together before him, "I think he's using Heather to try to lure me out of hiding. He wants action. He wants me to play his sick game again."

The four of us were soon engulfed by silence. It was an eerily deafening silence, and my mind urged me to break the building tension. Thankfully, Lawrence did it for me.

"So what are we dealing with?" he asked, "In regards to powers."

"Well," he breathed as he stood up again. His nerves were making it impossible for him to sit still, "Blood can teleport. He also has a slight degree of healing, and well..." he trailed off and gave us a worried glance, "He can manipulate the blood in our veins to control us. It's limited though. Like it's harder for him to control those who are stronger because they have more ability to resist him."

"How fun," I muttered under my breath, realizing this was not opportune for me.

"What about you?" Emily finally spoke up, "What can you do?"

Daniel perked up a bit as he turned to the girl, "Well, most of my powers are pretty generic actually. I can fly, I'm stronger than the average Olympian, and I can turn invisible. I can also do this weird thing, it's kind of hard to explain, but it's almost like I can... read people?" he wasn't sure if that sounded right, but it was hard to put into words.

"Read people?" Lawrence repeated the words a bit skeptically, but he came across as more intrigued.

"Yeah," Daniel grinned, "It's pretty weird. I think it's some limited form of mind reading," his face twisted as he continued to search for the right words, "Here, just let me show you."

His fingers came up to rest on his temple as he looked at the three of us. He pointed to me and spoke, "You're Johanna Dunston, also known as Lightning Pulse. You're 16 years old and 143 pounds," he shifted his finger to Lawrence, "Lawrence Townley, alter ego Torch. 17 years old and listens to primarily classic rock," he shifted to Emily, "Emily, 15 years old. You're the responsible one. You go to a private school, and..." He narrowed his eyes at her and his words faltered. Still staring at her, he made some sort of truce, "I won't tell if you won't."

Daniel shot her a knowing glance and she blushed, much to the confusion of her older brother. She probably should tell him.

Shut up.

She screamed at me through telepathy and I couldn't help but send a smirk in her direction.

"I don't know how it works," he explained, "I just get these tidbits of information thrown at me. I have no control over what shows up, it just happens."

Lawrence, after shaking off the confusion about his sister and her secrets, beamed with excitement, "Dude! You're like those glasses that FBI agents have in the movies!"

His head cocked to the side in thought, "I guess that's one way of explaining it."

"That's totally bad ass!" Lawrence practically squealed like a schoolgirl at a One Direction concert.

I cleared my throat to interrupt his peculiar mood change. It was too much happiness for me to handle at the moment. I still didn't fully trust this guy, regardless of what Lawrence thought of him.

As the mood shifted to a more serious note again, I turned to Daniel, "So, do we have some sort of plan?"

^

^

^

^

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't updated in a while. Been pretty busy. I hope to be getting back into the swing of things pretty soon though, so keep your eyes peeled for future updates. Don't forget to comment and vote. Let me know how much you enjoy this story! Thanks!