The End

The next few months passed in a blur before I knew it the weather was getting warmer and the school year was slowly coming to an end. I was still with Jase, we’d been together nearly five months by then and he was gradually beginning to fall for me. I knew that I wanted to crush him but I just had no idea what to do as the ‘grand finale’.

Tonight he wanted to take me somewhere special, the thing is he hadn’t told me where. He hadn’t even told me what to wear so I was rather confused. I didn’t want to be too dressed up in case we were going hiking or something like that, on the other hand I didn’t want to be too underdressed, I really was in a pickle. He had told me to be ready for seven in the evening but I knew him better than that so I didn’t finish getting ready until quarter past seven. I nearly died of shock when I heard my Mom shouting from downstairs.

“Aimee, hurry up! Poor Jase had been here since five to seven!” she hollered.

I froze on the spot immediately. He had got here early? Was he ill? I rushed down the stairs expecting to see Jase covered in boils or at least deathly pale but he was just stood there with a wide grin on his face. He was wearing jeans and a pale blue shirt so I knew dressing casual was the right decision. I was only wearing jeans and a pink vest top myself.

“You’re late,” Jase sniffed before that wide grin took over his face again.

“Makes a change. Usually you’re the one who’s late so I thought today I’d just take my time,” I stated.

“You can tell...” he was interrupted by my fist in his stomach.

“Shall we go?” I innocently asked.

The drive to the ‘secret’ destination was quiet; I was too preoccupied trying to work out why Jase had been early. Not once since we had been seeing each other had he been early. Ever. This was the boy who’d probably be late for getting his diploma at graduation. I couldn’t place my finger on it but something was wrong, very wrong.A short while later I found myself pulling up to somewhere that I had been before. But I couldn’t quite remember when.

The sunset over the tops of the trees was truly breath taking. The trees stood dark in contrast to the pink and orange beams of light that were peaking through the branches. The clouds looked golden against the pale blue of the sky. We walked into the forest using a footpath I was certain I had used before but couldn’t place. We walked hand in hand until we reached an opening. Upon noticing the lake I let go off Jase’s hand and rushed towards it taking in its beauty. I knew when I had been here before.

It was just so peaceful and serene. Tall trees surrounded me as I walked deeper into the woods. Vibrant reds, pale pinks and striking blues stood out amongst the trees. The aroma of the sweet fragrant flowers filled me, so sweet I could almost taste them. A slight breeze was in the air making the leaves in the trees above me dance and flow. I could clearly hear the birds singing their joyful little hearts out. Walking further along the trail I was stopped in my tracks by a sight of such beauty it took my breath away. In the clearing just ahead stood the most beautiful lake that I had ever seen. The sun shone down radiantly on the surface of the water making it sparkle and glisten. Lily pads covered the surface and I could see fish darting about under the surface. I sat down on a tree stump taking in the beauty when suddenly a soccer ball came flying out of nowhere landing right in the middle of the pond causing an almighty ripple.

"Sorry," called a deep, inviting voice from behind me.

I glanced behind me to see a boy cheekily grinning. He ran his fingers through his short blonde hair and chuckled nervously. His blue eyes sparkled almost as blue as the water that stood before me.