But Mom!

My eyes fluttered open as I tried to locate the buzzing that had so rudely interrupted my sleep. Damn technology waking me up again! I sat upright and leant my head against the headboard trying to locate my phone. Matt lay next to me looking so peaceful and relaxed. The buzzing seemed to grow in volume so I snapped up my phone and climbed out of the bed, not wanting to stir Matt. I opened up my cell and read the screen which read Mom. Sh*t!

"Hey Mom. What's up?" I asked trying to sound casual.

"Where are you hon? We thought you would be home earlier."

"Oh yeah I'm at Becky's,“ I lied. "I'll be home before eleven, definitely."

"Okay. Just make sure you are. Love you."

"Bye Mom. Love you too."

I ended the call and looked at the display it was 17:15 and I couldn't believe I'd slept the day away and worse I had just blatantly lied to my Mom. I sighed and plonked myself down on the bed. What was I even doing there? I had known the guy for just over twenty four hours and here I was in his apartment naked. I'd just leave before he woke up and then I would never have to see him again. Surely this player business couldn't be that hard? Use someone for your own gratification and then get the hell out of there; it sounded simple enough to me.

As I reasoned with myself, it dawned on me that I had used him like I'd been used. It wasn't a fact of wanting to use him like Jase had done with me; I was just too ashamed to face him. Too ashamed of what he might think of me. I really did not want to be just another slut and I certainly didn’t want him to think that of me.

I scrambled off the bed trying to find my underwear when I heard a cough which nearly made me jump out of my skin. Slowly I turned to face Matt. He was lay on his side using his muscular arm to support his head looking directly at me, his eyebrows were raised slightly.

"What's up Aimee?" he asked.

"Oh nothing I just thought I'd better get dressed seeing as it's after five," I lied.

"So you weren't a do a runner on me then?" he laughed his face easing.

My face froze and guilt filled my eyes, how did he know? He couldn't know it was a joke I told myself. But when I looked at him it was obvious he knew, gone was the cheeky smile and instead his face was blank. Not knowing what else to do I grabbed my cell and my clothes and ran out of the bedroom.

I managed to pull my clothes on by the time I had reached the front door and stormed out of the door. Turning around to shut the door I saw Matt stood in the hallway. His face was filled with confusion and his eyes were full of hurt. Pulling the door shut I ran out of the apartment block and collapsed on the grass at the front, the branches of the trees danced above me. Tears began to fill my eyes as I lay there curled up, blurring my vision slightly. Dialling Becky's number I held my breath.

"Hey babe, what's up?" Becky's voice interrupted the ringing.

"Can you pick me up please?"

"Ermmm yeah okay, where are you?"

"Outside a white apartment block on..." I faltered when I realised I had no idea where I was. Spotting a street sign I hastily continued "Weston Street."

"I'll be there as soon as I can. But you do know that's on the other side of town, right? Well I'll see you soon. Love you."

"Love you. Bye."

Snapping my cell shut I couldn't help but sigh. Matt seemed like a nice enough guy and I'd just crushed him. What was I thinking? I couldn’t seem to get the image of him watching me leave out of my head. As the tears began to flow from my eyes the heavens above me opened and raindrops pelted down, each raindrop like a bullet. I scrambled to my feet and leant against a tree for support. I was secretly pleased about the rain because the raindrops disguised my tears. I just stood there in the rain for what felt like a lifetime.

Lost in my thoughts I hadn't even noticed Becky's black SUV pull up, in fact I didn't even acknowledge it until she beeped her horn. I climbed into the car and hastily fastened my seat belt; I just wanted to get away from there as soon as possible.

"Jesus Aimee you're soaked. You rang me 40 minutes ago you've not been stood there in the rain all that time have you?"

"I suppose I have," my teeth chattered as I said this.

"What's going on? Who lives here?" Becky questioned. “It’s that hunk from yesterday is it? Aimee you didn’t, did you?”

"Can we just go please I'm not in the mood for playing twenty one questions," I snapped, instantly regretting it.

Becky frowned and looked away from me. The hurt in her face was clearer than day. A lump formed in my throat as I realised I was taking my anger at my own stupid actions out on her.

"I'm sorry. Look I'll explain later I just feel like hell I shouldn't have snapped at you. I am really sorry forgive me?" I pleaded.

"Okay. Where to Madam?"

"Home please."

**********

Arriving home I was met with my mother instantly. Her arms were folded across her chest and she looked deep in thought. As soon as she noticed me her eyes were wide with horror, I’m not sure whether it was because I literally dripping wet or because I was dripping on her cream carpet.

"What the hell happened to you?"

"It's just rain Mom. I'm fine honest. I'm gonna go to bed."

I raced past my Mom before she could utter another word and ran straight to my room. Closing the door quietly behind me I leant against it trying to steady myself. I really didn't feel so great. Staggering across the room my knees suddenly felt weak but I managed to throw myself onto my bed before everything went black.